ISP Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

kungfukitty

Beta member
Hello Everybody!

I am a newbie here. I am facing a big problem and i need HELP!

I am using a broadband-24-hour-optical-fibre connection. As I own two computers, (both have ethernet cards) I have split my connection using a simple DLINK. (The main cable goes into the DLINK and from there two cables come out, one for each computer)

MY ISP has introduced some authentication software which I had to download from 202.68.129.251 and they gave me a username and a password to login. For this they took my physical address as well.

One computer is my dads and he will NOT allow me to connect my internet through his computer in any way. [scared of viruses i suppose]

I tried connecting to the internet on both computers simultaneously using the same username password combo but it doesn't work.

I called my ISP and asked them to give me another username pwd for my computer but they say I will have to BUY another connection to do that. That costs Rs 10000 anually = USD 250....!!

My internet connection is not working. But curiously enough I can access the website of my ISP from where I'm supposed to download the authentication software. So my connection is still there but its cleverly blocked.

How do I go about keeping both computers online together?

I don't want to connect through my dad's computer. I want to connect as and when I wish irrespective of whether my dads computer is ON or OFF.

So all you smart people in here, do you have a solution....

Kung-fu-Kitty

Okay this sounds weird, but im sure I can figure it out.

Im suprised you UK boys have fiber, do you really have fiber running to your house ?

#1: About the D-LINK, what model and is it a router or a switch?

#2: I dont care about the actual password and crap, but to figure this out I really need to know what it does, could I have a few pics of the authentication software?

This is a completly new weird way that ISP's are doing stuff and up here it's not happening. Seems like they may have found a solution to solve people using a router to not pay for seperate lines :rolleyes: (@ lame ISP)

I am in India and we have fiber since a year now. The cable runs alongwith the regular wiring on the wall......

# Dlink specs are - 10/100Fast Ethernet Switch - DES008D. It is a plain switch.

My ISP says it can give me a new username pwd for my computer if i provide them with the physical address.

however *only one computer can be connected at a time*

is there someway to post images here.....?

A router should allow you to connect with two computers, if you replace your Dlink switch with a router this should solve your problem. The ISP should see the router as one computer even though you have 2 plugged into it.

I assume that the reason you can see the signup page is because the fibre optic cables are installed in every house with the potential of a connection - once you have paid for it anyway! Therefore i would doubt that there is any way for you to bypass this.

At the moment because of the way you have plugged your computers into a swith it would look like two seperate connections, where as you want one connection shared between the two computers.

Plug your cable into the uplink port of the router. plug both computers into 2 of the ports, Put your username and password into the router and away you go.

I don't know much about routers....

1. Are they difficult to program....?

2. Can I install as client authentication software like cyber roam on it?

3. Can the physical address of a router pass off as the physical address of an ethernet card?

4. Which router would be a good buy in my case?

What I am planning to do is use a router and ask my ISP to change the physical address in my account to the routers address, without telling them that its a router!!

I am sorry for asking very basic questions in a techie group like this...... please don't laugh :(

A router can be set up to use a username and password and also it can clone your MAC address of your home computer if you wish it.I know that Lynksys does this.

Switch is.. as it says.. a switch.. to let you SWITCH.. Use a router, you'll be good then.

can a router work independent of a computer?

or does it require a computer to act as server and then connect the remaining computers through it.....

i don't want that to happen, as i want all the computers to be independent of each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom