ISP Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LunaCrist

Solid State Member
I'm having an issue with my internet. I think it's definitely my isp, but i want to be sure before i ***** to them.

I pay for 1024kb/sec cable yet when I was trying to download from different sources (ie. fileplanet or through IM) i was only getting between 10kb/s to 25kb/s. I understand that 1024 is under optimal circumstances but i should still be averaging around 500-700kb/s, should i not? I also think this is the reason why i can't connect to any game servers. I was trying to connect to some servers on gamespy and all the pings were in the 3000s!!

I have phoned my cable internet company today (since they refused to answer my emails) but no one that has to do with internet services will be in until around 4pm. This will likely mean that, since it is friday, they won't help me until next week.

I'm getting seriously aggravated by this. It has been going on for over a week now.

Could there be another solution? At my business we have the same internet provider but i'm not sure i have the same issue. I d/led a demo from fileplanet to test the speed and I was getting around 350-400kb/s. But I then d/led a small 1.2Mb file from http://nwvault.ign.com and was only getting around 10-20kb/s.

Ok specs..forgot.
1.7ghz P4
Win XP home
512 RDRam
8500 allinwonder 128 mb
cable internet

no firewall
no P2P programs
ran Mcafee - no viruses
reset modem
ran spybot - nothing.

Help?

In a word no. Your MAXIMUM download speed with at 1024k connection will be around 100kbps. Remember your download speed (1024) is in Kilobits, and your file transfer speed is in Kilobytes.

Just do this, open a command prompt and type: ping www.google.com -t and let it go for about 30 seconds. Then paste the results here.

Basically, if you have ping times higher than 100ms, you may have a connection problem that could be the NIC the modem or the line. Otherwise, your fine, its just slow at those sites and/or games.

ya i'm getting from 95-200ms, the higher ones when i do things like hit 'reply' and load another page. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm also at work not at home so this computer isn't really the one with the problem. I will be there in a couple of hours though and check back.

What is your suggestion for the modem and cables? disconnect it all and reconnect it? I'm really just a user, not a programmer or anything.

And re: the gamespy network. the pings have been that high for a week now. They're usually in the 200s to 300s not thousands. Nobody else seems to be having the same problem though. And in regard to the file download, it was the SWG 14 day free trial. A friend had it in 3 hours, downloading at the same time, and the timer showed that it would take approximately 36 hours for me :angry: so i cancelled it.

Thanks again.

Well, I tried the google test on the problem computer at home and I got one response at 115ms then nothing but:

Request timed out
Request timed out

I have no idea what this means.

they were ALL request timed out except for the first one? Thats strange, sounds like a firewall. I would do it a few times and see if it starts replying again. Really you shouldnt be getting any saying Request timed Out (this is called packet loss). But if your getting more than 25% loss, I would just call the cable company and ask them to come out and give you a new modem. (assuming they didnt make you purchase yours) and check the cable line signal levels.

Ecniv said:
In a word no. Your MAXIMUM download speed with at 1024k connection will be around 100kbps. Remember your download speed (1024) is in Kilobits, and your file transfer speed is in Kilobytes.

Just do this, open a command prompt and type: ping www.google.com -t and let it go for about 30 seconds. Then paste the results here.

Basically, if you have ping times higher than 100ms, you may have a connection problem that could be the NIC the modem or the line. Otherwise, your fine, its just slow at those sites and/or games.

about the dl speeds, i have the same connection and i can get up to 200k/sec...so...what gives...

Most likeley that right about after you start downloading and then it slows down to 100 rather quickly. Windows will start DL'ing early and for the first few seconds it makes it look like your getting a higher speed.

I bet that if you DL a large file, your average DL speed will not be more than 100k.

Go to dslreports.com and run a speed test. Run it a few times, and you'll get a good result of what your average speed is.

If you are getting really bad ping rates for game servers on broadband, then something is definately up, but you can't base your speed on d/l. Especially when the upload speen of the host server is a major factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom