IPv6 addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldskool

Oldie but a goodie
I have one. Do all of us now ? I did an ifconfig in Ubuntu and disovered it. I am wondering if anyone else sees one in their machines. Will this make subnetting easier ? I have a pretty good grasp of subnetting, but I am more familiar with IPv4. Will I need to have this down (IPv6 subnetting) for the Network+ exams ?

IPv6 will be the new standard. Most likely sooner than later. Just google around for IPv4 addresses running out. So we have to go to IPv6 so that we can keep the internet going and get more machines connected to the internet.

In terms of IPv6 subnetting you really don't have to worry. IPv6 supports something called stateless addresss autoconfiguration, which basically means it queries the nearest router for an address by assigning itself a link local address. Of course, the router has to support that.

In any case, you won't have to subnet with IPv6 much, and when you do it's dead easy. Especially if you've already got subnetting with IPv4 down.

Yeah, I realize about stateless subnetting. Like taking into consideration subnet masks to achieve a stateless subnet. I was just kind of wondering if any of you have come across an IPv6 address on your collective machines, because as I was noodling around Ubuntu by using the ifconfing Terminal command, I saw an IPv6 address.

It then occurred to me to ask other forum members because I had been wondering when it was going to creep in. I know there are a lot of factors before a more full (grammatically correct?) implementation is adopted, such as the higher cost. Companies will have to upgrade to hardware that supports IPv6. Well, wait, is that true? I am guessing it is.

Well, like Mak said, I can Google it. I came across it in my text book a couple semesters ago. Just curious if anyone has seen an IPv6 address within Vista, XP, Ubuntu, Suse, etc.

And I appreciate the responses, too. :D

I have tunnel adapters that certainly support IPv6, and the machine is around 6 months old.
It's on it's way, and yeah if you've got IPv4 down you shouldn't have much of a problem atall :D

Tkey

Yeah, IPv6 is something like 128-bit addresses instead of 32. Just a multiple for allowing more networks, subnets, and nodes.

Apparently it's gonna take at LEAST another 10-15 years before IPv6 is fully implemented.

I don't know about that. It is already implemented on just about every machine running Windows Vista.

Ah ! That is what I was looking for. So it is being implemented. I was just surprised when I found it in Ubuntu. I know what it is and what it is for. Was Vista the first Microsoft OS to implement the IPv6 capability ?

No, IPv6 has been around since Windows 2003 was common place, you'll start to see it more and more as time goes on, though.

Tkey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom