ipconfig question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITwannabee

In Runtime
i'm trying to figure out this IP thing. I'm having a difficult time. According to other board members, when i type www.whatismyip.com, this shows the IP that people from outside of my network talks to. When I type ipconfig in dos prompt, the IP tha shows up is for LAN.

Well, please explain to me why there is 3 IP's when i type ipconfig/all on my small business server.

This IP stuff is starting to get confusing.

Any help is appreciated.

Are you seeing three Ethernet adapters listed or just three sets of octeted numbers? Here's what I have when I do an "ipconfig" at the command prompt:

Code:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.21
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

C:\>
This is pretty normal for a machine with one Ethernet adapter. This machine happens to be a laptop. When I stick a wireless card in it, two Ethernet adapters show up. What does yours look like?

you may also be looking at DNS Servers or other Server IP addresses on your network,
the only ip address you will be looking at for that machine is the Physical Address looks like 00-08-74-35-C3-0D or something like that format... this is the physical address or something similar to an IP address for the actual network card itself.

then there is a line for IP Address that is the IP address for that machine. the other ip addresses shown have to do with the network configurations, other machines that it is looking to for internet (Gateway), Domain Name Resolution (DNS), (DHCP) where it obtains it's ip address... so on and so forth.

if you would like to know more i would recomend reading a book on TCP/IP. it is about 4 inches thick if you get a good one, but will explain everything you need to know about subnets, ip addresses, how a network comunicates (detailed basics) for networking, it is best to know TCP/IP first.

good luck,
let us know if there is anything esle we can help with,
and hope we didn't confuse the matter worse ;)
~KB

when i type ipconfig/all, then there's 2 ehternet and one PPP adapter RAS server. I'm a bit confused.

I'm not sure exactly what you have, but if it's a true server-type machine, it wouldn't be unusual for it to have more than one Ethernet port in it. The Dell servers we've been getting lately come with two built-in and you can buy more on add-in cards (with like four Ethernet ports on a card). You might set up a corporate web server this way. This would give you multiple paths from the Internet into your server. This can be configured to share the load of Internet traffic (west coast vs. east coast traffic for example) and also provides redundancy if one of the the links goes down.

The PPP RAS server, I believe is set up so that other computers that belong to yours server's domain can use a dial-up (RAS) connection to connect to your server (as long as you hook up the server's modem to a phone line - assuming it has a modem). I'm not real sure about that. I've only used RAS; I've never set a server up.

if you don't mind, can you provide a screen shot?
so that i may explain each line for you. and see for myself what it is you are looking at.

When you use IPCONFIG /all it shows ALL of the network connections (Or network cards/devices) available.

Network Devices include Network Interface Cards, Wireless Network Interface Cards, IEEE 1394 (Firewire) connections and some USB devices.

In addition if you have a network bridge this will show as a separate device.... I know.. confusing.. but everydevice that is connected be it wired or wireless will request an ip address.

Check what you are connected to and that will help determine why you have those IP addressed assigned.

Your IP you connect to the internet is different then your LAN IP. Your internet IP (I think its called WAN or WLAN) is the one you will find at www.whatismyip.com but that IP will not show up in ipconfig. Ipconfig is all on your lan so people on your lan can find you and connect to you. IF you connect through a router all those user will have the same internet IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom