IPC$ network problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMajor

PowerQuest / Opera
Hey guys,

I have a Windows98 pc connected with a WindowsXP machine.
Everytime I try to browse the XP machine with my 98 machine in network neighbourhood I get this windows asking me for a password for IPC$. No password works, and I cannot get in. I know this problem is very common, so excuse me for asking dumb questions.

I know this is a dollar-share like D$, but thisone cannot be removed like the other shares.

Thanks! TheMajor

Oh yes this is the classic problem of the Non-Network OS. The Windows 98 machine can only operate on share level security. In other words when you share a folder in Win98 you can give Read or Full access and all of this is controlled via a simple password.

With Windows XP or 2000 or NT there is a user level security which requires the use of a username and password stored either locally or on some sort of Domain or Directory.

When on a Win98 machine trying to map or browse to an XP machine XP wants to know your username and password, but you are prompted only for a password by Win98 cause thats all it knows how to ask for. So then XP says "No I need a username and a password" and Win98 says "All I have to give is this password" and XP says "FARK OFF!"

The way around this is to use Windows Logon as your logon type in Win98 and setup at least a local username and password on your XP machine and give that user access to the share. Then you use that username and password to logon to the win98 machine and because windows 98 doesn't really care about the username or password this will not affect how you use the win98 machine.

Now when you try to map or browse the XP machine, XP will read the username that you logged on with from the WIN98 machine and match it up with its user database and it should let you in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom