IP problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

-=joe=-

Baseband Member
AHH! this is soo annoying. ok....when i type ipconfig in ms-dos it says my IP is 192.168.1.2 and i know that isnt right.
what is wrong? When i make a CS server and my friends try to join it says not responding...i thinks it because of this problem....HELP

Are you behind a router? Is the IP address assigned via DHCP, or did you manually set it? If so, you're going to need to do some port forwarding (check the manual for specific instructions).

First, release the IP address by going into the command prompt and typing "ipconfig /release" (without quotes), and renew by typing "ipconfig /renew", that is, if the IP address is setup as automatic (DHCP).

i did the ipconfig/release & renew thing & nothing changed everything is the same

that is an internal IP address and is not a valid IP address out on the internet. you need to use an external IP address. you are being assigned this IP by your DHCP as i can tell you do not even know how to set up static IP.

on your router you need to open ports for your 192.168.1.2 machine and you need to go to http://whatismyip.com That website tells you the IP address, givel your friend that IP. find out what ports to open for your specific game. if port forwarding does not work you may need to put urself on DMZ host, this is very dangerous. if nobody else has specific port forwarding help for counter strike google.com search for CS server.

ok i have that same problem.....i opened all those ports and all that and my ip is 24.2.187.150 for cs dedicated server//ok but still my friends cant connect to it please help me i am getting very ticked

posted by max please help =(

These are the ports used by steam:

UDP 1200 (Friends Network)
UDP 27000 to 27015 (Gameport)
UDP 27020
TCP 27030 to 27039
TCP 27015 (SRCDS Rcon port)

I would not put your computer on a DMZ. This isn't necessary and leaves you wide open to just about anyone and anything. All you should have to do is forward those ports on your router to the computer's internal IP address that is acting as the server. More than likely though you have a dynamic external IP address, so I would check that again before you give it to your friends, because it probably changes quite often.

how many computers are on your network? looks to me like you are teh second client...if you were 1 it would be 192.168.1.1...I go upstairs and check its 192.168.1.2 and the same with the 3rd and the laptop...

Obtruse_Man4 said:
These are the ports used by steam:

UDP 1200 (Friends Network)
UDP 27000 to 27015 (Gameport)
UDP 27020
TCP 27030 to 27039
TCP 27015 (SRCDS Rcon port)

I would not put your computer on a DMZ. This isn't necessary and leaves you wide open to just about anyone and anything. All you should have to do is forward those ports on your router to the computer's internal IP address that is acting as the server. More than likely though you have a dynamic external IP address, so I would check that again before you give it to your friends, because it probably changes quite often.

I had my computer on DMZ for some time, when i used to game alot. I never had any problems with it, though I did keep everything else up to date, such as Windows, AV, spyware programs Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom