IP keeps changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillGates

Banned
I have no idea whats going on but I'm dont feel like going into a ton of detail gotta go play some BF2 :p .

My IP adress keeps changing and i have no idea why. Like not just like once a month or something like that, last night it did it liek 40 times. No joke. So everytime it changes azureus and trillian loose conection.

If anyone could help that would be awesome cause its annoying the sh*t out of me.

What IP address are you talking about, because the ISP IP address should change, so this would be common but not normal for it to be doing this 40 times in just a few days. Maybe they're having technical issue on thier end.

I think its just my comps IP changing if thats possible. Im not really good with netwrks and such.

I'm not sure of your problem entierely because of its vagueness but I do know that you could ask your ISP for a static IP Address which is one that doesnt change.

I am just curious..... If you aren't very good with networks, and cannot determine WHICH IP address is changing (WAN, or internal LAN IP), how did you determine that your IP is changing in the first place? Try to provide the following....

1 - How did you determine your IP address is changing?
2 - What type of internet do you have, and who is the carrier?
3 - Describe your network topology. (what devices are in the network, and how they are connected).

My wan IP changes about 40-50 times a day. It doesn't bother me at all, im never even aware of it unless I monitor it. Its just my ISP.
It suites me perfectly because I can avoid download volume restrictions on certain sites without even trying :)

If its really bother you, phone your ISP and ask them if they are changing it.

Alternatively, if its your lan IP, check in your router settings how long leases are valid. I have mine set up to change my IP once every two weeks, but I know that it is possible to set it to change far more frequently than that. type in ipconfig/all into a command prompt (go start->run->"cmd" to access the command prompt). What does it say under lease obtained? what does it say under lease expire?

By default, if your computer is using DHCP it is configured to hold onto the IP address for 8 days. Afterward it would usually sent a unicast requesting that it keeps it's original IP address, most likely if your internal IP address keep changing you might have to check the router or better yet if you think it might be a DHCP issue, then disable it and assign a static address for your computers. It's also good to check your NIC cards and cable just to verify that they are working well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom