IP Conflict - XP and 98 and old HUB

Status
Not open for further replies.

TVance

Beta member
Hey guys I have a new machine

with XP and DSL ...

I built a 98 system for my daughter.

I had an OLD hub LINKSYS 5 port (10MBS ONLY) -- with no docs.

So I network the two (I do Home Network setup and follow up with the XP disk in my 98 system to set that up as well) and I get this message on my XP system....

"there is an IP address conflict with another system on the network"

and some ERROR 59?? or some number like that on the 98 machine.

They are both set to DHCP and I read where maybe I should set them to Static...but I dont know what numbers to use to even try this! (( Linksys has no docs on this hub))

Can anyone help me????? One thing I see different between the two machines is that the XP system is set to Detect DNS and the 98 system is set to DISABLE DNS....?

I tried typing in the 198.162...number or whatever (Linksys said this is their normal standard number for their hubs) but it didnt get me into the HUB.... I was thinking that their might be something their I could change, BUT I dont think this HUB is that complicated anyway.

THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL HELP!
T

**MORE INFO! -- When EITHER of these systems is plugged into the HUBS by themselves they can see the internet -- when they are BOTH PLUGGED IN and the Error Message is on -- NEITHER sees the internet.

**When NO internet is hooked up, I can get the computers to play nice for a couple minutes but inevitably I get the same error message....

hubs are dumb devices, they cannot make routing decisions. the reaseon you couldn't access the hubs config is because there isn't any.

you can setup one machine with the modem connection and implement ICS for others to connect to the inet. However, the host pc will need 2 nics and will need to be on and connected for the others to get inet access.

or buy a soho router or gateway

Ok if you can take back that hub! Get yourself a linksys router for about $80 then hookup boath machine to it. You will have a buffer between you and the internet, firewall, and the linksys will keep your connection up all the time almost as if you had cable. From now how when ever you want to use the word hub for anything use the word switch. There better and some cost just as much. ;)

thanks guys, I bought a router..... I really really appreciate BOTH your replies......t

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom