IP - from chat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CombatChinook

Beta member
Hello -
I was wondering if anyone could help me out: is there any way to check the IP of a user that I chat with on msn and/or aim? If so can anyone explain to me how to check this with the consideration that I'm not an extremely computer-literate person?

Thanks!!

if you download the program wireshark it will let you view incoming and outgoing connections. you'll just have to look for the connection that's associated with msn / aim which I'm not 100% sure exactly what it is, but you can experiment with it to find that info easily enough.

My situation is reversed. How can i set a proxy account that wont reveal my IP in the chats I participate. e. g Yak chat, Voodoo chat and Halsoft chat? anyone knows how to set it up and be able to mask my IP to the nosey people on the web?

I am also not very computer savvy.

Thank you

Hello -
I was wondering if anyone could help me out: is there any way to check the IP of a user that I chat with on msn and/or aim? If so can anyone explain to me how to check this with the consideration that I'm not an extremely computer-literate person?

Thanks!!

Probably won't work. AFAIK MSN and AIM both use a server to facilitate communication. The messages you are seeing come from the server.

Agree with Kmote. Unless you have a chat client that is only installed on the two communicating PC's you won't be able to get the IP. All larger chat programs use remote servers to do the communicating. So you are just going to get some server farm IP.

You use to be able to initiate a file transfer, then while transfering you could get it, but i bet that'd be changed now too.

Hmm assuming that this method still works, what steps would I have to take to be able to identify the IP of chat partner during a file transfer?

Okay I see...Yes I downloaded wireshark and ive started to use it, trying to digest all these IPs...I have an IP -related question

To someone who knows more about IPs (which is everyone)
How big of a difference is 1-number difference in an ip, for example
can one assume that XXX.XXX.X.1 is the same as XXX.XXX.X.2?
Or that XX.XX.XXX.XX5 is the same as XX.XX.XXX.XX6?
Just a general idea of what I'm asking.

Thanks!

You use to be able to initiate a file transfer, then while transfering you could get it, but i bet that'd be changed now too.
I used to do that :sweat:.
Okay I see...Yes I downloaded wireshark and ive started to use it, trying to digest all these IPs...I have an IP -related question

To someone who knows more about IPs (which is everyone)
How big of a difference is 1-number difference in an ip, for example
can one assume that XXX.XXX.X.1 is the same as XXX.XXX.X.2?
Or that XX.XX.XXX.XX5 is the same as XX.XX.XXX.XX6?
Just a general idea of what I'm asking.

Thanks!

To my knowledge, each IP (no matter which/how many numbers) is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom