IP Address Tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gain

Beta member
Is there any conventional way for me to find out the IP address of someone elses computer when the send a message/post content on a website?

A user on a website I frequent has been harassing/agravating alot of other people in the community, that said, he has made a point of mentioning that he is using an alternate account to do this harassment. so does anybody know any way i could find his IP and than scan the user database to find users who have been active on the same IP?

I would be glad to provide specific details if it would help

I would suggest contacting the Admin's at the website where the harassment is taking place. It would be up to the admin's wether or not you have sufficient access to get this info, and they should be responsible for taking care of the issue.

Oh, the admin knows about this stuff but he never does anything about this kind of stuff, and technically the dude isnt breaking any rules so its really up to the community to make him leave

What kind of website? Is it like a chat forum like this, a live chat? Do you have any feature implemented that would just put him on your ignore list so he doesn't appear to you when he types or post anything?

If the user isn't breaking any of the sites rules, and the admin's are refusing to do anything about it, the best suggestion would be what Law said, trying to put the user on an ignore list, or just specifically ignoring the content that they post.

What type of site is it? A forum similar to this one?

If it is a chatroom...you can try... /whois nick

If it is a forum, you can try putting a php coded image in your sig which allows you to log all ips who loads it.

PHP:

$ip = ( !empty($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']) ) ?

$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] : ( ( !empty($_ENV['REMOTE_ADDR'] ) ) ?

$_ENV['REMOTE_ADDR'] : $REMOTE_ADDR );

The above PHP code was posted by MrCoffee previously

Good luck

the website is YTMND.com, which is a website where people create short animations and audio. Basically this guy goes around and gives negative feedback on everything unless its artsy (which is not what the site is about at all) and leaves the same comment on every site, which is the main source of the aggravation. he also flaunts the fact that he is an alternate account belonging to a popular user, so if i can figure out what his real account is, he'll probably go away.

There isn't much we can do to help you here, but we can give some advice.

If you and many other users report him to the administrator or the owner of the web site, you can some how convince the owner to get off his/her butt and do something about it. :D

Makes you wish you had the ignore feature..huh?

Technically it isn't easy to just find someone's IP address unless that person is some how directly connected to you which isn't the case with a client/server architect like the web server. The server holds the information. There may be a way but I don't know that, sorry.

If he's not breaking the rule than it's up to the administrator. Work as a community to get rid of him. ;)

Chances are even if you did find out his IP address, he's probably using a proxy server or has a dynamic IP. So getting rid of him would require banning all proxy servers and his ISP subnet, which would never happen if the website needs to grow.

Nothing on this world is free of charge,
If you want to tech people how to behave,
First they will not change, and second they will not pay your time.

Leave him along, the clock is tickingÂ…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom