internet on vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

beluga

In Runtime
OK, so i got vista home basic today, and ive been trying to install ethernet LAN on it... however, with everything plugged into the computer with the IP adresses put in and DNS servers, it just wont work! vista does have IP4 and IP6, i deselected IP 6 cause i dont think itlll be any help, since ive been running on 4 on XP. Also my internet provider only provided me info for the IP4..... its confusing what im saying i knoe, but id like to get the internt to work as fast as pos, since i gotta register my copy soon...... any1 can help?

PS... i got a Asus P5b mobo, and im trying to find the Vista upgrade for it... is there one????

thx

First thing is first. You will use IPv4... IPv6 is still in development, and a WAY off in the future... isn't quite here yet.

Please describe the topology of your network.... do you have Cable or DSL?
Do you have a router, or is it integrated into the modem?
EXACTLY what IP addresses and DNS info are you setting up and where, computer or router?
where did the IP address come from, did you purchase a STATIC IP ADDRESS from your ISP?

You obviously have a host that has internet access since you posted this, we just need more info.

im using ethernt, LAN, no modem, the chords only stuck to my pc ethernet port. It workeda few hours earlier when i had WMCE and when i upgraded to vista it downloaded all the files it needed.... where did it go wrong then..
the IP and DNS codes i got are completely Valid, since im living in Finnish student housing, i have the IP configs for ToasNet.
My vista says its connected at 100mbs which is normal, but for some reason the internet just wont work.... it works perfectly on my gf laptop which has XP, with all the same dns and IP configs asmy pc..... its very strange

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom