Internet suddenly goes weird, help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooleddy4

In Runtime
Hi, when I am on the Internet, sometimes my msn messenger suddenly signs out and every website I go to I get that 'page cannot be displayed' message. My INternet connection stays connected, but I can't use msn or go on any website or do anything. I don't know why this is.

The problem never resolves and I have to restart my computer and then connect to the net again. If I just re-connect my internet the problem is still there, so thats why I have to restart my pc first.

What's wrong?

Could you please help me resolve this problem!!!!

thanks, Edd

What type of service do you have? If you have DSL, what type of modem do you have?

Go Here and test your internet connection, post the results back here. Your browser will only try and connect to the host for so long, until it gives up and gives you the "page cannot be displayed" error.

Also, after you try and connect to a page, say it's MSN.COM and you get an error message, that page is stored in your DNS resolver cache, and if you try and connect to the same page right away, it will display the stored page rather than trying to reconnect.

Usually the cache will clear it'self after 24 hours or when you restart, so maybe that's part of the problem.

After a connection fails, go to the command prompt and type
IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS

That will clear your cache, then try and reconnect and see what happens.

Communications 28.4 kilobits per second
Storage 3.5 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 4.9 minutes
Subjective rating Very slow

I have never had this problem before and it doesn't happen all the time.

It hasn't happened since yesturday, so I will try the FLUSHDNS thing when It happens again.

cooleddy4 said:
Communications 28.4 kilobits per second
Storage 3.5 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 4.9 minutes
Subjective rating Very slow

I have never had this problem before and it doesn't happen all the time.

It hasn't happened since yesturday, so I will try the FLUSHDNS thing when It happens again.

28.4 is slow, but pretty typical for a dial up connecticon. If you ran that test 6 times, it would probably range anywhere between there and 34Kb.

My comp does the samme thing!! I belive it has to do with viruses and spy-ware. I gues they are hoggin up all the internet. Try to get some anti virus and anti spyware software. I helped me.

~chi~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom