Internet splitting question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Daemon Poster
I have an ethernet cable coming into a room and need to split it into two devices. What type of splitter do you recommend as being the best?

Well, what is the ethernet cable coming from and what 2 devices is it going to?
You're answer really depends on more detail.

In general, you'd be better off just using a small switch or a hub. But, sure... you could literally just split the cable up to connect to 2 devices... sure.
In order to split the connection yourself, you would need a couple of female ends and then a couple of additional cables. In all reality, whatever device it's coming from thinks that it is also talking to one device ... so, "spitting it" really wouldn't work unless you actually split it on both ends and use 1 physical cable to use on 2 devices or ports on either end.
You could actually make it fairly neat looking... but it's not going to be as clean and function as well as a switch would. They make itty bitty switches too :)

EDIT: (Whew.... found a picture of what I'm talking about... thought that I was going to have to fire up Visio there for a second...)
Ok, this is exactly what I'm talking about: Cyberguys.com - Network Pair Splitter 10/100 2 Pack
You have to use it in pairs.
p6405a.jpg

So, you connect two computers at one end.. then 2 ports at the other end.

p6405a-1.jpg

^^ Perfect example.

Ok, great... the post above then applies to your situation.
It's going to be less of a hassle to buy a switch. Your choices are basically:

1) Ethernet cable into a switch or hub and then one cable going into each device.

or

2) ROOM SIDE-Ethernet cable coming into your room, into a coupler and then one of those splitters, then a cable to each device
ROUTER SIDE- Ethernet cable coming into the room where the router is, into a coupler and then one of those splitters and then into 2 available ports on the router instead of just one.

or

3) Ethernet cable coming into your room and into a device. Then, run a new cable from the router to the room and plug it into the second device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom