Internet spiking horribly

Status
Not open for further replies.

quotemokc

Beta member
In the last 2 days my internet has gone from good to absolutely shocking with constant spiking.

Example: playing a game online which I usually get a solid 110-130 MS on but I have that for maybe 10 seconds then I spike all the way up to about 700MS for around 20 seconds then it drops and varies in between constantly.

I have shutdown all other computers in my house, reset the modem and stopped anything on my computer that could be downloading, even though downloading would not make me spike just give me a constant set lag.

Can anyone give me some help as to why my net is spiking and how I could fix it.

PS: spiking happening to every computer in my house.

There are, but not limited to, two possibilities: 1) You've had your home network infected by a virus, or 2) Your technology is outdated and requires a tune-up.

1) Run a virus scan (ex. Norton, McAfee) as well as a registry scan, to check and make sure if there is any fragmentation, infection, or other damage to your registry system. With your anti-virus program, you should be able to remove the virus from your system, and live happily ever after.

2) Your computer memory (RAM) could be the cause of this network spiking problem. Run task manager, assuming you are running a Windows-based machine (Ctrl + Alt + Del), and click on the 'Performance' tab. On the bottom of the tab-window, look for 'Physical Memory (MB)' and find out how much 'Total' memory you have (This will be represented in MB). If your memory is lower than 1000 MB (ex. 514 MB), then there's your problem: You can do basically nothing these days with that kind of memory/RAM. I would recommend for upgrading your computers, that you do at least 3GB for a laptop, and 2GB for a desktop (at the least!).

(Personally, I have HP/Compaq brand laptops and desktops, and my top laptop has 3GB of RAM, and my top desktop has about 4GB-5GB of RAM.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom