Internet and Server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

klongoid

Beta member
I run Server 2003 as a domain controller and a DNS server. The server is connected to the internet via a wireless card to a broadband connection. All the other computers in my house access the internet through the server (by using my DNS server as their preferred DNS server). All the PC's run Windows XP Pro. About once or twice a day all the Windows XP PC's lose internet connectivity. I can ping all the PC's except the Server. When I go to the Server, it can not reach the internet either. I right click the networking icon in the notification area and hit repair. Usually this fixes the problem, but sometimes I actually have to reboot the server. I have checked the error logs in event viewer, but I am not really seeing much. Anyone have any ideas on fixing this issue? Not sure why it happens so much.

how are the clients connected to the server? what hardware is used?

When the problem occurs, review the server's network config / addressing. It sounds like the server is dropping all network connections. Update NIC drivers. Uninstall & reinstall the Nic drivers if you have to. Reseat the NIC(s). power cycle the modem.

Everything is connected wirelessly, except one PC that is connected via CAT 5 directly to the wireless router. The only thing that is confusing is that it works fine MOST of the time. It only drops on occasion. That is why I didn't suspect hardware issues. I had changed the name of my administrator account previously so I thought maybe that was causing issues (though I know it shouldn't), so I changed it back to the regular administrator name. I thought maybe there was an issue with DNS registration? Could it have anything to do with anti-virus software on the Server or PC's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom