internet restriction

Status
Not open for further replies.

domac385

Beta member
Hello everyone!
I need help! recently, I installed one computer and I need to restrict internet access for one user. OS is Win XP SP3, and there are 3 users (limited account). I need to do that 2 accounts have no restrictions to internet at all (they can surf wherever they want), and one user account needs to be restricted to just a few pages that I as admin define.
Does anyone here knows how to do that?
Computer is for itself, it isn't connected to any workgroup or domain...
And of course, it should be free, 'cause I'm not paying any money for doing that...
Thanks in advance!

There are still group policies that can be access through administrator tools. I believe there is one in there for internet access. I'd check but i'm on my 7 machine.

administrative_tools_window_in_windows_xp.gif

I think that's "Local Security Policies", Lex.

okay, thanks, but can you be more specific? I've opened it now but it doesn't mean anything to me... I don't know where to go to do it... so if you could be more specific, I would be greatful...

I don't believe IE or FF can lock down what sites are only available, but it can limit the amount of sites you can visit through the IE Content Advisor in Internet Settings/Content.

You can try a free program like K9 Web Protection
K9 Web Protection - Free Internet Filtering and Parental Controls Software

thnx for the help, but that's not what I need. These 2 suggestions are blocking/restricting internet acces through all computer, and I need something user-based...
one user needs to be restricted, but the others must have normal access to internet

Ya the local security policies don't have anything that would restrict internet access. Just program and software installations.

I don't believe there is anyway to do it with the core of XP. You would have to use netnanny, use a router software or you could install windows 7 which does have the ability to dissallow internet per user and per time period.

You can use something in windows steady state to do this, I cant rember exactly how you do it but you can say let user A have full net acess and user B can have LAN or ) network access.

Ya the local security policies don't have anything that would restrict internet access. Just program and software installations.

I don't believe there is anyway to do it with the core of XP. You would have to use netnanny, use a router software or you could install windows 7 which does have the ability to dissallow internet per user and per time period.
Netnanny is also blocking internet on whole computer,not per user...

There are still group policies that can be access through administrator tools. I believe there is one in there for internet access. I'd check but i'm on my 7 machine.

It's Group Policy he meant, not Local Security Policy.
I don't believe IE or FF can lock down what sites are only available, but it can limit the amount of sites you can visit through the IE Content Advisor in Internet Settings/Content.

You can try a free program like K9 Web Protection
K9 Web Protection - Free Internet Filtering and Parental Controls Software

About the IE Content Adviser feature, guess can be tweaked but has it's limitations.

Do you want to restrict it to a certain amount of websites that can be viewed...or a certain amount of websites to be banned? Not sure how much this can be tweaked, as it has it's limitations but here it goes...

Go to the Limited User's account, head to "C:\WINDOWS\system32" and look for the Group Policy (gpedit.msc). Right click and use the "Run as" option, run it as your Admin account (since it's the only way it will open). Click images to see bigger picture (scaled it down so the thread won't stretch with the pic).

You can tweak the "adviser" as mentioned above, but it has it's limitations. If you want to ban certain sites, this may work for you; but if it's the other way around and only want to allow certain sites...may not work as planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom