Internet Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javelin

Solid State Member
I've been having strange issues with my Internet connection the past two days. I have a set up wherein my main computer is connected to the Internet through an on-board LAN port to the router, which is connected to a DSL modem by an ethernet cable. I have my Xbox 360 also connected to the router, and I have my router configured for a wireless connection to my laptop. Until two days ago my main computer had Internet access, and my Xbox 360 had Internet access until just yesterday. When this first started happening, I noticed that the ethernet light on my modem was off even though all cables were plugged in. I thought that resetting both the modem and router would fix things, just pulling the cables out and putting them back in. The ethernet light turned on green once more, but then the computer's connection to the router, on the port where it was connected to the light was pulsing. By that I mean that the port light on the router will be green for a few seconds, then it cuts out to black as if it's not on. Then it goes back to green for a couple of seconds.

I tried a few things: First I tried to connect the cable from the computer directly into the modem. It didn't make a difference. The connection says it works but in my web browser, a webpage is stuck on "Looking up..." before the connection attempt fails. I also tried the other ports on the router. Ports 2 and 3 exhibit that strange pulsing, while port 4 has a healthy green blinking light with nothing in that port. It may be the wireless or something I'm not aware of. Port 1 appears to be dead though, there is no light at all and my connection says that a cable was unplugged when everything is plugged in. I decided to switch cables. Port 1 still doesn't work, while port 2 and 3 still have pulsing lights. Connecting directly to the modem didn't make a difference.

Then I decided that the on-board LAN might be dead, so I decided to insert a PCI ethernet adapter. With that the pulsing lights thing was gone in ports 2 and 3, while port 1 turns on no light. Even so I still can't connect to the Internet. The connection says it works when I can't display web pages. I tried resetting the modem and router countless times. I even turned off the on-board LAN in the BIOS. Further switching of cables didn't make a difference. At this point I really don't know what's wrong. It makes little sense to me why my laptop gets wireless Internet access, and am not sure about the port 4 light being on even when there's nothing plugged in that port. I'd really appreciate getting this fixed, as it's been driving me nuts for a few days now! Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom