internet problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bxkid7

Beta member
First off just want to say I love this forum everyone provides useful informations and helps each other out with that being said I having a weird problem with my internet connection. I use optimum online and I recently had a problem where I had to reboot windows and reinstall everything I had on my pc. The thing is when I connect to the internet it works for lets say 20 mins and then eventually its like I get no connection so lets say I'm downloading something it will eventually have to be paused cuz I'm not getting any internet connect. I know the plugs is in right cuz it was working a minute. I'm totally confused on what to do any suggestions would be helpful.

I'm not familiar with Optimum. What kind of connection is it?

Optimum is by cable acess and also i am using a belkin router. another thing do you think when i rebooted my pc with reinstalling windows that i would need to reinstall the belkin software?

I'm trying to figure out what you actually did.

If you formatted your drive and reinstalled Windows (which is what it sounds like to me), you need to download and install the drivers for your motherboard (which would include the drivers for your ethernet/LAN). You can find these at either the manufacturer's website, or, if you have a pre-built, in the support section of your PC's manufacturer's site.

As for installing the Belkin software... I don't know of any software you would have for it. Routers work independently of the PC. The only software I can think of would be a firmware/BIOS upgrade you might have had to do (I did with my Linksys), but this type of upgrade is installed in the router and not in your computer. In other words, reinstalling Windows shouldn't have bothered your router.

Ok what I did so far is I checked my asus motherboard box and saw it had a cd and i reinstalled the marvell gigabit lan driver and i also noted when i looked at my network connections my marvel driver for some reason was disabled so i enabled it and right now i have the internet conection imgoing to leave my pc downloading a big file so i can see if my connection is returning to normal. ill update you with the info trotter. but before i end this comment ty for ur suggestions and i'll hope for the best :)

Update: after reinstalling the drivers it still looses its conection within a pretty short amount of time. Like ur image trotter i feeling like hitting myself on my table lol. I'm in need of other suggestions :)

I dunno. I'm going to move this to the Networking & Internet Access forum. Maybe they can help you out.

If it drops after the same time length every time I would suspect there is a setting for this somewhere in the configuration. Either on the router or the ISP has a time out. Was there any software from your ISP that you had to install? My netgear router came with a setup CD but it just is a config utility that you access via your browser.

my belkin router has a set up cd to install for the router. i havent bother to install it previously at the time since the internet was working. do you think i should give it a shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom