Internet Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yin-Yang

In Runtime
Hey guys, I have a little problem here, my old computer is having troubels conecting to the internet, since I reformated it.

•I am Running WinXP.
•The computer is a Compaq Presario 5600i.
•We are using Verizon DSL highspeed internet.
•The computer only detects a Usb cord from the router.

I have been able to install the hardwear, but can not install, the Verizon Softwear.

so far Tech support has not been very helpful, and I need help before the 25 day activation is up.

Thank you.

Did you check Device Manager to see if the network adapter is installed properly without any error? Did you check Control Panel/Network Connection to see if the card is listed there, then right click, select Properties, double click TCP/IP and check if it's set to obtain an IP and DNS automatically?

You can plug the computer to the router, then plug the router to the DSL modem. Your computer should receive an IP address from the router. If not, open up command prompt and type:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Then check by typing ipconfig /all

Take note of the default gateway, enter that IP into a web browser, you should be at the router configuration by now, find the section where it has you select the Internet type, and enter the correct authentication method use by your ISP and your user name and password.

Unplug the DSL modem power to clear any old entry for about 15 second, plug it back in. Check the router status to see if it got an IP address from the modem, if not try doing a release and renew from the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom