Internet off and on + low range

danhodge

In Runtime
Probably a common problem, but with totally different reasons. Our internet connection is constantly turning off and on again, which is a pain when you are gaming online.

To narrow it down - it happens on all computers/laptops at the same time, and has happened with both Sky and Talktalk. I usually noticed it at 5PM, minimum (UK time), onwards until around 10PM. We always use the default router, and don't invest in a more expensive one.

Our other problem is that, although we will live in a small house, my room doesn't receive any internet via wifi, except like once every few hours, when my iPod will suddenly load a few Facebook notifications at once. This means if i want to use my Xbox online, i have to take the ethernet cable out of my computer, and it has already broken the part that keeps it in place because of all this moving around.

We called Sky, however they said if the problem wasn't their fault, they would charge £170 to fix it, which is insane, and we can't afford that. So, i was hoping someone could suggest somethings to try. For example, is there a setting on the sky website (the one which uses your IP as the address) which can boost the range?

If the problem is just the default routers, can you suggest something that works better maybe? I am trying to learn more about internet hardware, but right now i don't really have a clue.

Thanks a lot,
Danny

Seems like a flaky router.

As for boosting the range of the wifi, you would need custom firmware on the router or higher gain antenna(s).

An easier option, if possible, is to physically relocate your router closer...

You could always just manually power cycle (unplug and re-plug power cable) the router every now and then to see if that helps with the connection drops.

Hope that helps.

It is the default Sky router right now. I will have a look into getting a new one; look at their specs and stuff. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom