Internet/LAN topology

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncan

In Runtime
Ok clever people - can you help with this probably simple one?

I have Broadband ADSL router and ethernet hub combined - 1 cable goes to 1 PC another to a 5 port switch with PC & Xbox on - all works fine internet sharing/file & printer sharing etc. I am adding another PC to the switch and I want to use a partition on it's large HDD as a back up for all the other PC's - but I don't need internet access on it, in fact it will only have 1 peice of SW other than OS running as it is designed just for music studio - the question is - can it be on the LAN to share files, without having any exposure to internet - as I don't want/need it to have anything to do with internet - and want it protected from threats - although the router hads a firewall and other pc's have all the protection SW - can I just plug it into the LAN safely or is it automatically exposed because the internet comes over the LAN...

Really appreciate any help - sorry about long listing

Well, since you have the firewall on the router, you could deny any access outside of your LAN (ie: 192.168.x.x) from that specific IP address, and vice versa...

Hypothetically, if your new PC's IP address was 192.168.1.8, you could tell the router to deny any incoming requests from outside your LAN going to 192.168.1.8, and deny any internet access going outside of the LAN from 192.168.1.8. This will completely solve your problems.

ok - brilliant - I will try that... Haven't really explored the router setup yet - it just kind of all worked with DHCP taking care of addresses and that kind of thing - cheers for advice

That idea will work but you will have to assign a static IP to the system that you want off o fhte internet. Otherwise the DHCP can assign a different IP and make it vulnerable.

Ahh yes, definitely want to set a static IP for any type of server, especially when configuring permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom