Internet Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onymaru42

Baseband Member
Okay, I am at a friend's house using his internet to post this. I have called my cable company but they didn't understand my problem, I'm sure you guys/girls will. :) I switched to Charter (ISP) and got Cable internet. When I hooked my other PC up, it wouldn't connect to the internet. I was recently using Dish Internet, which they installed some Software on it. I want to keep this software b/c it cost around $100.00 to reinstall it. -_- I am using a Net gear Router. When I hook my pc up to the internet directly from the modem, it says "acquiring Address" and never does anything else. When I went threw the Router, it showed it was connected but actually it wasn't. When I checked to see if it was sending packets, it showed it was sending but not receiving. Also, the Router IP address won't send threw. Can anyone please help me? I would really love to get all 10 PC's running on my internet w/o wireless. (I live near a airport and they wont let me run wireless for some reason)

the airport prolly doesn't want you to run wireless because it may interfere with radio signals.

at this point i would try powering everything down and turn devices on in this order. let each device complete its boot sequence before turning on the next device.

modem

router

computer

you may need to reconfigure your router for the new isp

So 9 out of 10 computers connect without a problem? If so, there's nothing wrong with the router. If the only variable is some type of Dish Network software, then that could be the problem. What kind of software did they install for $100 that you still need to connect with cable?

Well Double, I want to keep the software for if I decide to go back to my old internet, so it will save me some money. Also, I only have 1 PC running the dish software, and thats the one that wont connect. It runs using a Static IP, could this be the cause?

has the charter cable internet ever worked on any computer? have you switched your computer to obtain ip automatically? What setup steps have you taken on your router?

If it's still configured to use a static IP, then you've answered your own question. You can't connect the same way you did before with an entirely different ISP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom