internet issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Bobbio

Solid State Member
I have a computer with high speed internet and a copy of windows XP professional just installed on it, and it has random internet disconnections and then after a while random reconnections on and off. I don't know what to do I have tried everything I can think of.
Please somebody help me!!

Oh yeah, my computer is on a network so I thought this would be a good catagory for it.

Thank you!

whats the network setup? like Mizingo said is it wireless or wired? is there a switch/router? what programs disconect?

Not wireless
No router
plugged directly into the wall socket to the PCI card.
I know the port works for sure and when the internet stops working
when I restart the machine it starts working again.
thank you.

is your 'high speed' internet dial up or broadband..... if it is broadband, it SHOULD be plugged into a modem before going into the wall socket..

The computer uses the local area network through the port.
When the internet stops working the web browser just times out, but when I unplug the internet the web browser knows instantly that your not connected to the internet, but the local area network always works. I have both internet explorer and firefox and they both don't work when the internet stops working. Also I noticed that if I am to start a radio stream from the internet before it disconnects then it stays connected after it disconnects, but when I stop the stream and start it again it can't start up again.

I'm using PCI ethernet card now. I have swapped it with a card
from another computer and the same thing happens, and I know this card works, and I am using a cord I know works.

you still haven't mentioned anything about your networking hardware... you said 'PCI card connects directly to wall jack'.... is it an RJ-45 (ethernet) wall jack?? Where is the other side of the wall jack connection? Are you using a router? where is the DSL modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom