internet goes in and out

Joe C

Golden Master
I have an issue that I haven't seen before.
It's an HP 110-210 cheapo pc, the internet cuts in and out at the clients home, I connected my laptop and it works fine, no interruptions. I brought it back to my bench and from here it does the same thing, of course I've gone through all the settings and removed/reinstalled the Realtek PCIe FE on board NIC.
Now here's the really weird thing.... I connect the router to my switch and to the pc and everything works fine, If I disconnect it from my switch and go straight from my router to the pc, the internet cuts on and off again????
Whats up with that?
Windows 10

Last edited:
I thought of that too, but it does the same thing at two different places, theirs and my bench. Plus I'm using the same cable with the switch too. This pc has no power supply like a normal pc has, it uses a power brick just like a laptop and it has a tiny itx motherboard too....if that helps. I can't try a pci NIC card because the board has no pci/pcie slots

Has this only happened since he upgraded to Windows 10? and if so, when did he actaully upgrade to windows 10? I'd try a roll back to windows 7 and see if it works again..

I recommended this to someone else with a similar issue, I think it may solve it..

Try this (changing duplex settings) - Goto: Device manager > properties of the NIC > "link speed" tab > "speed and duplex" tab > change from "auto" to 100Mbps full duplex > click "ok"

this originally had Windows 8 and it was doing the same thing. About a month ago, I did the upgrade to 10, formatted the drive then did a clean install. It worked fine. Yesterday I did try to roll back the driver, but after a reboot... Windows 10 auto-updated to the newer driver before I could log on to the account. I'm thinking that the on board NIC is not getting enough power or something like that? would a switch add a signal boost of some kind? It's just too strange that it would only work with a switch connected to it

Last edited:
It this originally has Windows 8 and it was doing the same thing about a month ago, I did the upgrade to 10, formatted the drive then did a clean install. It worked fine. Yesterday I did try to roll back the driver, but after a reboot... Windows 10 auto-updated to the newer driver before I could log on to the account. I'm thinking that the on board NIC is not getting enough power or something like that? would a switch add a signal boost of some kind? It's just too strange that it would only work with a switch connected to it

Can you try what i suggested please. A switch is just a link to other devices but can config speeds / duplex etc, try my method whilst connected to the router and see if that fixes it.

Do what... Roll it back to windows 8? That's too much to do and it had the same issue when it has Windows 8 on it so I think a roll back would be futile. It might work for a little while but it might be a hardware issue. I'll try running this in safe mode and see what that does

Edit... saw the rest of your post... I'll try those options.

Do what... Roll it back to windows 8? That's too much to do and it had the same issue when it has Windows 8 on it so I think a roll back would be futile. It might work for a little while but it might be a hardware issue. I'll try running this in safe mode and see what that does

Edit... saw the rest of your post... I'll try those options.

This

Try this (changing duplex settings) - Goto: Device manager > properties of the NIC > "link speed" tab > "speed and duplex" tab > change from "auto" to 100Mbps full duplex > click "ok"

This is Windows 10 and I do not see that option "link speed" tab
But from the properties box I did disable "Energy Efficient Ethernet" and.... It worked!
It has stopped dropping in and out.

It definitely looks to be a driver issue
VufNKg8.jpg

Disabling the Energy Efficient Ethernet worked but I do not think it totally solves my issue. If I attempt another driver...W10 auto updates it...GRRRR...

It was installing and then deleting the driver,then re-installing it. Causing the internet to go in and out. It was dumb luck that I found something as a temp fix

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom