Internet Explorer - Cannot Connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallaceno1

Baseband Member
Running XP Home. Suddenly could not run Internet Explorer. The "e" icon disappeared from desktop.
Ran the Recovery feature to when it worked. The "e" icon appeared on desktop. When clicked on, it went to Yahoo (just the very top - the rest blank). At the bottom read "Detecting proxy settings". No matter what tried, could not get it to go into Internet Explorer. Can anyone tell me why and what to do to get on Internet? Many thanks. Please bear in mind in your response that I am a novice at this stuff.

No, did not install or uninstall anything.

Have no idea how to access through Firefox. Don't know what Firefox is.

Is your NIC now setup to obtain IP automatically? Or do you still have an IP address in there?

You may need to power down your machine then reset the modem.

Resetting the Modem:

(After your machine is powered off)
Unplug A/C power from Modem itself. (If you are behind a router you should do the same to the router, at the same time)

Leave unplugged for about 30 seconds or so.
Plug back in and wait for modem to cycle through tests.

Once the data light is blinking again. (power your router back on)
Then power your machine back on.

Your machine should gather an IP.

[Edit]

Step 2 :

Download and Install the Following :

AVG antivirus
Ewido Malware Scanner
Ccleaner (just in case)
HighJackThis (and post scan log)

Don't understand the language abbreviations such as NIC. Have an e which has to be clicked to get to Internet Explorer. Lost at step 2 as to how to get to each of those things. Shut down PC, turned off modem, disconnected power from router and waited 30+ seconds. No help there.

Ok, lets do this first...

We need you to scan your machine for any spyware virus' or malware.

However you see fit, install :

AVG Antivirus
Ewido
HighJackThis

Do a full scan with AVG
Then run HighJackThis and post the log file here.

Communicating with you on a different computer. Cannot run any of those suggestions without being able to get on Internet Explorer on the PC with the problem. Have Spybot on it.

how about downloading them on the computer you are communicating with me on, then burning them to disk and transferring that way?

Somehow, I have the feeling that the fix is somewhat simplier than downloading all that stuff. It did work before and was doing nothing unusual at the time could not get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom