Internet Explorer 6 will not open most websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

techserv

Baseband Member
Ok, this one has me stumped. I have a client who has a home network setup with a wireless router attached. There is a desktop that is wired and everything works normal on it. Then he has a laptop that uses the wireless connection.

On the laptop, when you try and go to various webpages, some load with no problems but most will just never open. It says "opening yada yada" at the bottom but just never opens the page. Some pages, like yahoo.com load perfectly normal.

First of all, I have checked a several things:
1. The laptop does show that it is connected to the wireless network with excellent reception.
2. I connected it to the network with a wire and it does the same thing.
3. I have cleared cookies, temp internet files, history.
4. I have restored the default settings for the Security and Advanced features in the IE settings.
5. Email in outlook express works fine, so I know it is hitting an Internet connection.
6. It is currently setup to obtain IP and DNS automatically, but I went in and assigned an IP and put in the ISP's DNS and that did not help either.
7. Ran ad-aware, found nothing
8. Ran Norton Anitvirus, found nothing

It almost has to be something screwed up in the IE program itself.

what isp is it, some times they have temp "shutdowns" in several places, my swbell does this occationally. other than that, i cant think of anything. Can he connect to the network? Is there a signal with the wireless card? Oh ya and also, see if there is a bridge in the connections, if so take if off, it is to no use for him.

ISP is fine because the other computer on the network has no problems accessing websites.

The laptop is showing a strong wirless network connection and it will open some websites so I know it is connected.

No bridge on the connections.

I did some research on Microsofts Knowlege Base. I think I may have a problem with ActiveX. It was only giving me problems on complex websites with active content and no problems on basic websites like google.com.

lol, man microsoft doesnt support there java anymore ( activx ) On microsft site they got intructions on how to remove it, its a command u put in the run command, and also download cwshreadder and run that, they also have a linnk to the activx removal.

Hope this helped

Hi,

Pretty old thread but its pretty relevant to a problem I'm having and its got me stumped.

We've just set up a wireless network, 3 other computers connect and use the internet fine.

However on one laptop the internet won't work. Next door has a wireless connection and its internet explorer works fine on it but on our connection internet explorer nor firefox will work. Strange thing is that it will download on programs such as Spybot and sometimes it will be able to do a google search but nothing else other than that.

I've tried resetting the computers TCP/IP settings with a download from the microsoft website that made no difference.

As i say its just the internet browsers that don't work on this particular connection.

Could anybody help please?

Thanks,

Stu.

Yes, this is a very old thread. I ended up finding the solution to my problem, however yours may be different.

Mine had to do with the communication between the DSL Modem and the Wireless Router. The DSL modem I was using is a Westell (provided by Bellsouth) and it has a built in router. Well, basically the 2 routers were fighting each other.

On the DSL modem, set the mode to "Ethernet Bridge".
On the Wireless router, set the mode to PPPoE and put in your login information for your ISP.

That is what fixed my problem.

Stubert said:
Hi,

Pretty old thread but its pretty relevant to a problem I'm having and its got me stumped.

We've just set up a wireless network, 3 other computers connect and use the internet fine.

However on one laptop the internet won't work. Next door has a wireless connection and its internet explorer works fine on it but on our connection internet explorer nor firefox will work. Strange thing is that it will download on programs such as Spybot and sometimes it will be able to do a google search but nothing else other than that.

I've tried resetting the computers TCP/IP settings with a download from the microsoft website that made no difference.

As i say its just the internet browsers that don't work on this particular connection.

Could anybody help please?

Thanks,

Stu.

Can you ping the website though, like ping www.yahoo.com or ping www.msn.com and see if you get any reply.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm slightly even more confused now, some website appear to now work but many still dont. For example as i said before google.com works but none of the links do and some other sites like www.itv.com work but www.bbc.co.uk doesnt. And obviously I get a ping reply from the websites that work.

Heres the printscreen of pinging:
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g143/stumpystu/sarahcomp.jpg

Those websites again worked on the other connection, whats the deal?

Thanks.

Firewall? Do you have the correct DNS server also? When you do ipconfig /all does the DNS server matches with the other PC. Most likely it could just be a DNS server that your computer was setup to query or a firewall problem on your computer. If this doesn't happen on another computer connected to the router, I would assume so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom