Internet Drops out when Phone or Bell ring

John Calm

Baseband Member
Lately I have been experiencing trouble with my connection: When the phone rings, the connection seems to drop, does not disconnect completely.
For example, while gaming there is a sudden delay, but the ms count (ping) does not rise.

When the phone is done ringing it all comes back to normal. I have changed channels, but it does not seem to be working. Note also that when the bell rings, (which is connected to the phones) the connection does disconnect for a while and then reconnect automatically.

I ve attached a file showing my connection disposition currently.
Problem started since I changed printer.

Printer: Hp OfficeJet Pro Plus 8600

Router is connected to Modem in bridge mode.

Router Model: TL-WDR4300.
Firmware Version: 3.13.33 Build 130617 Rel.46239n
Hardware Version: WDR4300 v1 00000000

Netalyzr analysis:

ICSI Netalyzr — Results

As you can see from the diagram I attached, I have the ADSL jacked straight into the wall.

Any ideas guys? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• NetworkInfo.txt
    8.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Conections.jpg
    Conections.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 8
Depends on whether the printer needs a filter, look at the specs sheet/install guide for you printer. What you can try right now, remove the phone from the printer and run the filter between the wall jack and the phone. do you fax a lot so that your required to have the printer connected? If the DSL wall jack is a filter type of wall jack, disconnect your modem from that and connect the modem to just a standard phone jack

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi 2:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Ralink RT61 Turbo Wireless LAN
Card #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-6B-37-15-27
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
Your wired ethernet connections show no connection. Is your pc using the wireless router? your pictorial did not show that

Last edited:
As an telecom installer, service tech, here is what your setup should be, based on a single telephone.

If you have more then one phone, you need a DSL filter at each of those locations, you can get them from the phone company.

From the out side world, your first device should be the DSL Modem, a normal modem will have a phone jack out put, this is where you connect the phone/fax, the modem has the filter build in.

From the modem, it also has an either jack for the internet which is where you connect all your network which includes a switch if needed for muliti devices.

So, in your case, connect the DSL modem to the wall jack, the printer to the phone jack on the modem and the phone to the printer,, as for your net work, if your modem has build in wifi you are ok for that, for muliti hard wired devices, connect from modem to switch to devices. If the DSL does not have build in wifi, then instead of a switch, use a wifi router then connect all wired devices.

So Im back from some weeks off and decided to fix this once in for all but no luck so far.

I have disconnected all phones, their adapters, power and even batteries for the wireless ones and the printer.

I have 2 cable phones and 3 wireless ones.

Still, I went into pvp and started a game. Called my home. And somehow there was still interference at the exact time my cellphone was waiting for the pick up.

How is this possible?

Are you connected with WiFi or an Ethernet cable? Either way, your computer is still connected to the router, which in turn is connected to (or the same as) the DSL modem. That DSL modem is still plugged into the house circuit, which means even with no phones connected the call is coming through the circuit and can cause interference.

If you have the DSL filter connected to the wall where your modem is plugged in, I would suggest removing the filter. I've seen filters go bad and cause problems rather than prevent them. If you DON'T have the filter on, put it on and try it again. In an ideal world, anything connected with a phone cord to your circuit should all have filters connected.

Are you connected with WiFi or an Ethernet cable? Either way, your computer is still connected to the router, which in turn is connected to (or the same as) the DSL modem. That DSL modem is still plugged into the house circuit, which means even with no phones connected the call is coming through the circuit and can cause interference.

If you have the DSL filter connected to the wall where your modem is plugged in, I would suggest removing the filter. I've seen filters go bad and cause problems rather than prevent them. If you DON'T have the filter on, put it on and try it again. In an ideal world, anything connected with a phone cord to your circuit should all have filters connected.

Im connected via WIFI.
I have the ADSL jacked straight into the wall without a filter. It has always been working like this.

One goes to the modem, the other goes to the LINE in the printer.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1
We suggested trying a filter back in April of last year - did you ever hook one up to see if that helped or not?

I have the ADSL jacked straight into the wall without a filter. It has always been working like this.

I'm going to assume not, Carnage. John, the other thing to consider is what changed right around the time this started happening. Did you add anything to your phone line, such as a satellite box or fax machine? I've seen both of those cause issues, although a satellite box can cause issues even without the phone ringing because it's using the phone line.

That filter is your next best step. Let us know the results.

Back
Top Bottom