Internet Connetion Too Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix21

Beta member
Hey folks,

I'm new to this forum and also networking. I'm generally pretty knowledgeable when it comes to PCs, but networking is not my specialty.

I have a DSL connection in my house through the local phone company, and just recently bought a laptop for school. I figured since it has a wireless card, I'd buy a wireless router. It was working great before, I had the desktop wired to the router in the bedroom upstairs, and noticed no difference in speeds.

I decided to buy a wireless adapter for that PC so I could move the router and modem downstairs so I could connect my printer to it so both computers would have access. Ever since then, both PCs have only been DLing about 100 kbps, when normally I'm supposed to be getting around 768kbps. I know that sharing an internet connection is supposed to slow the speed down a little bit, but how come now it's going at a snail's pace? The printer isn't connected yet, only the laptop and desktop. I even unplugged the desktop, but it is still only downloading 100kbps.

I go to school online and downloading is something I do everyday. I used to be able to download my materials in a couple seconds, now it takes at least 2 minutes. Can anyone help me with this? If it helps, I'm using a Netgear wireless router.

Thanks, and if you need more information, I'll try to get it to you (if I understand what you're asking for :) ).

--Matt

First things first. Welcome to the Forums!

If you haven't already done so.. I would suggest going to speedtest.net to see if you're getting the connection you're paying for. However, it sounds like it's not a certain website, so it probably is your whole connection. The computer that is hardwired into the router is also going slow? If this is the case try and hook up that computer directly to the modem and see if the speed has risen again. If it does you know that it is something to do with the router settings, or the router itself. Once you get this far post back on what you have found, and we'll go from there.

I had the desktop hardwired to the router itself, and it worked fine. I was using both computers without a noticeable hit on performance. I moved the router and modem downstairs and both computers connect via wireless connection, and it no longer works. I ran speedtest.net and both are only hitting 100mbps, even when the desktop is disconnected from the network completely. One thing I read somewhere was to move the wireless router to a high point in the house, but that would ruin my plans for having my printer easily accessible all the time.

Most likely its router placement as you said. Try moving all phone, cordless obviously, nd other high strength electric gear away from the router. Sorta check whats in the walls too, metal ducts and/or pipes.

You might also want to look into homemade antennas to make yours more uni-direction, than omi-directional.

Also chamnge the router frequency/channel, in the admin pages, and yes the computers will auto adjust.

As for the DT, try to eep the antenna out in the open, if its a usb type, plug in the front ports, etc.

I think basically you just need to experiment with router/em positioning.

If you're paying for 768kb/s DSL, then 100KB/s DL speeds aren't too bad. I pay for the same DSL speeds and the fastest I've ever downloaded anything was around 160 when I was connected directly to the modem. I usually get 110-130KB/s on my laptop over wifi so your speeds are normal.

If you're paying for 768kb/s DSL, then 100KB/s DL speeds aren't too bad. I pay for the same DSL speeds and the fastest I've ever downloaded anything was around 160 when I was connected directly to the modem. I usually get 110-130KB/s on my laptop over wifi so your speeds are normal.

Actually, I was only getting 11KB/s for download, what I meant was 100 kilobits/second for the speed tests. I've got it fixed for now; moved the modem and router back upstairs with a direct connection to the desktop. Speeds are where they ought to be now, 777kbps. Maybe when I have the patience I'll see if I can move it around again, but for now, I'll leave it where it is. Thanks for the quick responses :)

Hey all.

I have att dsl with a westell modem with a linksys wrt54g router

OS is xp pro sp3

When I access the router 192.168.1.254 it says my downstream rate is 768kb/s and my upstream rate is 384 kb/s

At & t helped me set up the router the first time and had me bridge it. Not sure exactly what was done but have an idea.

I know it is supposed to be PPPoE but when I change it to that it stops working. It is set to DHCP auto configuration and works fine like that BUT...

My connection intermediatly disconnects and I have to reconnect.

I ran a test at speedtest.net and got these results

Down: .60Mb/s
up: .29Mb/s
ping: 45ms

I know more info is probably needed, I just don't know what. Thanks for the ideas or help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom