Internet connectivity issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascendant

Baseband Member
Trying to figure out what my problem is here...

I use comcast for my internet and a wired trendnet router. Every so often, I just lose my internet connection out of nowhere. It's not very frequent, but very frustrating when it happens. Usually when it disconnects, simply unplugging and replugging the router fixes the problem, but sometimes I have to go into the configuration for the router and release/renew the wan address for it.

I called trendnet and they of course blame comcast, saying their modem isn't providing the router with the right information (can't remember exactly how they worded it). I call comcast and of course they blame the router and say it's faulty. So since both companies are just looking to dodge the blame, can someone tell me where my problem would actually be in a situation like this? I mean I'm assuming it's probably my router, but want to make sure before I buy another. Also if it is the router, what are some good reliable brands out there as far as dependability and speed?

You could try connecting one computer straight to the cable modem by Ethernet, bypassing the router. Leave it like that for a day or two, if internet continues to drop then you know its Comcast and not the router.

sorry, was away for the week or would've replied sooner. anyway, would that really rule out the modem? i mean maybe i'm wrong, but from what i read about this on the net, the modem might work fine for a direct connection but have issues assigning the correct information when it's working for multiple computers through a router?

Yes and no. Bypassing the router with a direct connection from the modem would rule out the router, however, because this puzzle only has two pieces it would also rule out the modem with the opposite result.

A modem doesn't assign anything, especially not through a router.

got ya. yea i honestly really don't know all that much about how ip addresses are assigned and how a router splits the connection and all that, and like i said the cs reps at trendnet came up with some bs excuses on how it was the modems fault and not theirs, despite me telling them a direct connection to it worked fine.

well, guess i'll be buying myself a new router then and seeing how things work out. thanks for the info :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom