Internet connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlauren35

Beta member
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the CORRECT forum exactly, but it was the one that matched the best with my friends problem.

K, she can't post on here (Obv if her internet is not working) so I'm doing this for her. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

"We just had a pretty big thunderstorm here and when I came home, I noticed the power/cable/internet didn't go out. Whew. BUT I noticed the PC light on my cable box wasn't on. I unplugged the power cord, the USB cord, and reset it a bunch of times. Nothing. I thought maybe it was the cord itself, so I found another USB cable, and tried it again with that. It's not the cord.

So, I'm stuck. Now I'm thinking it's the outlet that got fried in my laptop. What do you guys think, and what would you suggest I do?

Thanks!"

Welcome to TF.
So explain this more clearly again: Is the internet not working or the computer not working?
What turns on/off?
Explain the cables.
Whats your setup?

The internet is not working.
The computer turns on just fine.

She has a Gateway laptop and it runs on XP. The bolded part is as well as we can describe it. Heh.
Also, it's an ethernet cord...which goes into her USB port

Yeah the modem is fine...power is on, cable light is on...
"BUT I noticed the PC light on my cable box wasn't on. I unplugged the power cord, the USB cord, and reset it a bunch of times. Nothing. I thought maybe it was the cord itself, so I found another USB cable, and tried it again with that. It's not the cord."

Could something have been fried in the storm?

If the electronics powers on, then there isn't electrical damage. There might be other problems with the settings of the modem. You could also check if there is damage to the lines that run to the house.

How would she be able to fix her settings? Do you think it's most likely the cords/lines that run to her house?

if she is getting connection lights from her modem and router then i dont think that the outside lines are damaged... if she unplugged the modem and router i'd make sure that the ip settings were ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom