Internet connection with no wires or router?

Jet321

Beta member
My 16 year old son is an absolute whizz with technology.

I have had a sneaky suspicion for a while he has been accessing the internet despite setting up access controls and latterly removing the router.

I thought that maybe he was somehow using the 3g on his phone and using that through the pc.

However, having checked his pc today, his browsing history and his internet connections I can see he is accessing a completely different router to our own after I take ours away at night. He has been accessing the internet when he has run out of credit (and 3g) on his mobile phone, so I know it can't be that.

We live very remotely and there are no other houses near to us apart from my partners office and I am pretty certain it is not that internet he is connecting to, and certainly I can't access it from in the house on my phone or laptop as it's too far away.

So, how on earth is he doing this?

I have heard him talk about connecting to other servers etc but surely he needs our router or a hardwired connection to do this. He has neither but is still connected to the internet.

Jet321 said:
and latterly removing the router
How? Is the router actually being turned off? Or did you set a timer based on his computer's MAC address?

If your restrictions on the router are MAC address based, he could be spoofing it, therefore bypassing it entirely.

I have been physically removing the router, he definetely doesn't have access to it overnight.

I was setting access controls via the router but when I realised he was getting round that I took the router away, thinking that would solve the problem.

We live very remotely and there are no other local wifi connections he could log into.

I can't seen that there is any other router in the house.

Surely spoofing can't work without the router being there?

No you're right, he definitely needs a gateway of some kind.

You have either a cable or DSL modem I take it?

If you are looking at the history on Google Chrome, the history is on the account which you are signed in if you choose to sync it.

That being said, maybe he is actually using his phone on say a public school wifi and you are seeing the history via his PC?

I think I have realised the problem. He is somehow boosting the signal from my partners office hub in the building at the end of the garden, he is somehow connecting to that although he has "public" access and a different password.

I have turned that off and suddenly that router that was showing no longer shows on my sons pc.

Back
Top Bottom