Internet Connection Issues after Video Card Change.

Vacuous Luddite

Baseband Member
OK, so I gave my dad my old video card since he plays a lot of games. He took his old one out, a geforce gt 220 or something similar. He installed my old radeon 6750 but afterwards he realized he did not have any hdmi or dvi cables on hand and took it out and put the old one back in. Now he cannot get on the internet.

I checked and I see no visible signs of damage to the NIC, the ethernet cable is working and I tried 3 of them, windows says there are no driver issues. This is a direct wired connection from the modem to the NIC.

I ping loopback and its good, the computer itself and it is good I ping the router and it says ping transmit failed: General Failure

I run ipconfig and it is displaying a 162.X.X.X ip address and a class B mask on his NIC. Our public IP address is not the one diplayed, and for his NIC it is usually a standard private class C 192.168.0.X and mask for our private LAN IPs. everyone elses computers connect just fine.

He is running Windows 7 32bit and the NIC is a realtek rtl8139/810X

Again I suspect a hardware problem but I see no damage or no reason for any failures. I also suspect that just reconfiguring with the right IP and default gateway would help but I cannot access these option even when I right click and go to properties. IPconfig shows a class b mask, a 162. ip address and no def tgwy. I hope this makes ome sense to someone since I am tired and have a little difficulty explaining things.

Uninstall the device from Device Manager, and then either reboot or scan for hardware changes and see if it picks up the device.

Have you reinstalled the drivers from Realtek's website for the ethernet?

Ill try the uninstall. I have not reinstalled the drivers yet though, ill try both.

*I just uninstalled the drivers and rebooted. Windows reinstalled after login. IDK if this helps but I forgot to mention that after logging onto windows, it tries to find a network and says identifying, which takes about 5 mins, then it logs into an unidentified public network but says no internet access. Since it is a direct connection I assume this is the modem.

Last edited:
Ill try the uninstall. I have not reinstalled the drivers yet though, ill try both.

*I just uninstalled the drivers and rebooted. Windows reinstalled after login. IDK if this helps but I forgot to mention that after logging onto windows, it tries to find a network and says identifying, which takes about 5 mins, then it logs into an unidentified public network but says no internet access. Since it is a direct connection I assume this is the modem.

Turn off the auto connect to that network. If you don't know who owns that network, don't let your computer connect to it. As the other guys said, try changing the drivers around. (uninstalls, etc)

Have you tried hard wiring your computer and seeing if it does the same? Connecting to an off network would explain a different IP address. I would go as far as checking to make sure you don't have anykind of Malware on your computer. No reason for you to be locked out of network functions ifyou are the computer administrator.

If the card is fine, drivers are fine, I'd look at a malware issue. As soon as you see it connected, disconnect, and erase that network from your computer. Restart your computer again, if it reconnects to that network, than you have a security issue. If you have a anti virus software, at that point I would look at that.

BUT this is if the other suggestions already given to you don't work. Because again, you should have full access to modify IP, and Subnet. Click Start, click Network, and take a look if any devices you don't recognize, or computers you don't recognize are "on your network" after it connects.

I would also go as far as contacting your ISP about the modem. If your other devices are a class C, no reason you should have a separate IP for your computer. It hsould all be on the same IP since it all has the same gateway.

Also, have you tried turning off and unplugging your modems, routers, and so fourth, and then rebooting them to take a look? What kind of Modem do you have? Is it connected to a router? Is that router wireless or hardwired? How many total devices are connected to it?

It could just be a LAN Configuration issue. But don't get into ANY of the mentioned in this post unless the suggestions of others have already been exhausted of it.

Last edited:
Also....try rebooting your modem and router
+1

So Device Manager shows it as working correctly now? I'd still download/install the drivers from Realtek rather than using the default drivers from Microsoft.

Also, open up a command prompt window (Start -> type "cmd" (without quotes) -> Enter, and then type in "ipconfig" (again, without quotes) -> Enter -> post the info that it prints out for your LAN connection.

Also....try rebooting your modem and router

This was the very first thing I did.

+1

So Device Manager shows it as working correctly now? I'd still download/install the drivers from Realtek rather than using the default drivers from Microsoft.

Also, open up a command prompt window (Start -> type "cmd" (without quotes) -> Enter, and then type in "ipconfig" (again, without quotes) -> Enter -> post the info that it prints out for your LAN connection.

Device manager always showed the device as working properly. The uninstall and reboot was just that, which was the same as before. I ran an ipconfig already and posted the important details in the first post, although it was not a cut and paste.

Turn off the auto connect to that network. If you don't know who owns that network, don't let your computer connect to it. As the other guys said, try changing the drivers around. (uninstalls, etc)

Have you tried hard wiring your computer and seeing if it does the same? Connecting to an off network would explain a different IP address. I would go as far as checking to make sure you don't have anykind of Malware on your computer. No reason for you to be locked out of network functions ifyou are the computer administrator.

If the card is fine, drivers are fine, I'd look at a malware issue. As soon as you see it connected, disconnect, and erase that network from your computer. Restart your computer again, if it reconnects to that network, than you have a security issue. If you have a anti virus software, at that point I would look at that.

BUT this is if the other suggestions already given to you don't work. Because again, you should have full access to modify IP, and Subnet. Click Start, click Network, and take a look if any devices you don't recognize, or computers you don't recognize are "on your network" after it connects.

I would also go as far as contacting your ISP about the modem. If your other devices are a class C, no reason you should have a separate IP for your computer. It hsould all be on the same IP since it all has the same gateway.

Also, have you tried turning off and unplugging your modems, routers, and so fourth, and then rebooting them to take a look? What kind of Modem do you have? Is it connected to a router? Is that router wireless or hardwired? How many total devices are connected to it?

It could just be a LAN Configuration issue. But don't get into ANY of the mentioned in this post unless the suggestions of others have already been exhausted iof it.

Well I know who owns the conn, it is ours. This computer does not have any wireless capabilities and is direct;y connected to the modem. I already ran malware bytes and the usual just to be safe. The fact that the class b address is showing in ipconfig makes me think a configuration prob which I know exactly hoe to fix but I cannot access the configuration menu. Ill try to reconfig with the CLI next.

OK, so my dad is really impatient and used system restore not once but twice, same problem still exists. He then completely reinstalled windows seven and the same problem exists. He also used his other hard drive that has Ubuntu on it and the same problem exists. This is why I think maybe a hardware problem.

I hooked a laptop up directly to the modem/router (Motorola SBG6580) and it works just fine and no one else's internet connection is messed up so I know it is not the modem or connection.

I don't know what else to do. I tried everything I can think of and tried the above suggestions and still no change.

I am trying to convince him to get a new PC anyway though since he is still running a P-4 with 2 gig ram yet insists on buying the latest games even though they wont work on his PC, but this is another issue entirely.

Tried a different ethernet cable?

If it's not the cable, then I'd say the NIC is bad. Can pick up a new one for $20.

Back
Top Bottom