Internet Connection Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares6735

Baseband Member
My problem is that at anytime my internet connection can at least seem to go faulty and stop working partially. By this I mean that, for example I will start my computer up (with the cable modem DIRECTLY connected to it) and browse websites, use P2P applications or most of the time play World of Warcraft. The problem is that after extended periods of time I will lose functions of my internet, such as I am playing WoW and want to check a website and internet explorer along will ALL other applications except WoW believe my connection is gone. That is the most frequent, but I also have times where I will leave a P2P application running for a while AFK and return to find that it is fine, but again ALL other applications have lost their ability to utilize the connection.

My beliefs are these:
1. Perhaps it is a spyware issue, I have allways used protection, I loved that Microsoft Anti Spyware Beta, but I had to Reformat and now can only get Windows Defender which never seems to detect anything.

2. A Virus, I know, I know, I sound like some moron secretary saying "Well my computer must have a virus..." but hear me out. I had Mcafee untill they had that big upgrade which would block out my P2P apps and I had to uninstall it and get AVG untill (hopfully) they fixed it. AVG isnt necessarily great as u dont pay for it...

3. I just got a Linksys router to solve my networking woes and perhaps it messed with some settings when it was Automatically set up, or maybe it is some other strange connection issue I am oblivious to.

For the record this problem happes with or without the router, its not that. Also restarting the computer fixes the problem for varying amounts of time, usually from 2-6 hours.

Please someone give me some advice, Linksys has some smart ppl but I cant stand going through 2 hours of "Turn your computer off, then back on, then see if it works".

Thanks in advance.

Wll see if restarting your computer fixes it.

Scan your computer for Adware/Spyware/Viruses

Spware/Adware - http://www.safer-networking.org/
Viruses - http://www.clamwin.com/

Do you have a firewall running? If so check the preferences and see what applications and ports it is monitoring/blocking. This may be your problem.

What ISP do you have? If it is some no name company I suggest upgrading because their service is probaly unreliable.

Restarting only temporarily fixes for a while
Checking for viruses and spyware currently
Have Comcast Internet

Well still no luck, got rid of the spyware and scanned for viruses... anyone got more advice.

PS: Comcast will just tell me to restart my comp and then if that dont work they will want to send out a person and Im not payin for that.

Your modem may just be going bad.

What is your modem type?
Brand and Model please.

I don't think so because I have another computer that runs just fine on the same router.... its gotta be a software issue on this computer.

Im having similar problems.

When im using bittornado my browsers, FF-IE, both start having trouble finding web pages.

It can be an intermittent problem. I started using utorrent to see if it would fix the problem. It did'nt.

I've been using bittornado for maybe a year and this has only started in the last 2 weeks.

I use norton 2002/2003 and keep it updated regularly.

I haven't done a scan for spyware only because I haven't had any spyware type problems but I might have to give it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom