Internet connection

Songbird

Baseband Member
I have been using a router with my modem for internet browsing since the past one year. Internet connection isn't too reliable. Sometimes it runs fine for days. At other times it keeps getting disconnected/connected every now and then. A couple of days ago it got disconnected and didn't connect at all. I unplugged and then again plugged the power cord of both the modem and router into the surge protector and then it connected. Since the past 2 days it's been disconnecting and connecting on its own. This morning I again unplugged & plugged the power cord and it began running better. I realize, to some extent such a problem is not uncommon with wireless particularly in apartment buildings. Yet, the disconnections seem to be a bit too often in my case. Can there possibly be a problem with the surge protector? It seems to be working okay from the outside, but it's old, almost 10 years or more. Any guidelines on what the problem might be would be helpful.

It's most likely that the issue is with your modem or your router and not the surge protector, although you should change those out every so often. Is your Internet cable, DSL, fiber, etc? Who is your provider? What is the make and model of both your modem and your router? That will help us get started.

It's most likely that the issue is with your modem or your router and not the surge protector, although you should change those out every so often. Is your Internet cable, DSL, fiber, etc? Who is your provider? What is the make and model of both your modem and your router? That will help us get started.

My internet is DSL. Router is D-Link and modem is Comtrend. Though it's time to get a new surge protector, as you rightly suggested seems like there's some incompatibility between router & modem. The modem was provided by the ISP. I purchased the router later, after the network card of my laptop developed a technical problem and stopped functioning. It was setup by the technician. My ISP also sell modem/router 2-in-1. If the problem continues, probably I should replace the present equipments with the 2-in-1 ?

First thing I'd do is check for a firmware update for your router.

What is a firmware update?

My internet is DSL. Router is D-Link and modem is Comtrend.
Please post the model # of your router as well.

Though it's time to get a new surge protector, as you rightly suggested seems like there's some incompatibility between router & modem. The modem was provided by the ISP. I purchased the router later, after the network card of my laptop developed a technical problem and stopped functioning. It was setup by the technician. My ISP also sell modem/router 2-in-1. If the problem continues, probably I should replace the present equipments with the 2-in-1 ?
No, don't replace with a 2-in-1...they're usually pretty awful as well.

What is a firmware update?

Firmware is basically the OS that the router runs on. You should be able to log into the web GUI of your router and either check for an update that way, or have to go to D-Link's website and search for your router's model # and see when the last update for firmware was made available.

Thanks for that info CarnageX. I never knew about this. I have a link to D-Link forum. I think I'll put this question there to learn how to get D-Link updates, then let you know what they say.

I think I'll put this question there to learn how to get D-Link updates, then let you know what they say.

If you run into issues, I can also try to help with that. I've got quite a few years of experience doing that. I agree with Carnage... 2-in-1 devices are pretty terrible at most stuff. I strongly urge you to stick with your own router and, possibly, your own modem. Depending on who your ISP is, they may charge you for the modem and not tell you (like AT&T does: they bill an extra $10/month for 10 months) so it could be cheaper to get your own DSL modem from the store. Let us know how everything pans out.

Carnege, Midnight Shadow - many thanks. Periodical disconnections, for a few moments every now and then continue. I've been thinking over it for long. I guess the modem is okay as I never had this problem (certainly not to this extent) until a year ago as long as the network card of my laptop was working and I was using the same modem. The modem is provided by my ISP and they're not charging for it. Secondly, while I too agree with Carnege that updating firmware is important, this problem isn't recent. It started from day one, since it was setup. That makes it still more mind boggling. Glad you let me know that 2-in-1 aren't worth it. Or, if the problem gets worse, I could change the router and this time buy one from the ISP as they might have something more compatible with their modems, no?

Like I said, I live in a big apartment building where I'm sure many are using routers. Probably I might need to bear with it until I buy a new laptop with a functioning lan system.

Btw, I also put the same question at D-Link forum. I quote their reply as below. Some of the points are a bit too technical for a dummy like me though.

QUOTE -

Try in a different area...
By-pass the main host router and check internet connection by connecting a wired LAN PC directly to the ISP modem to verify connection access and ISP speeds.
  • Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.
  • Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values
  • For DSL/PPPoE connections on the router, ensure that "Always ON" option is enabled.
  • If the ISP modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems: Link>Double NAT and How NAT Works. Call the ISP and ask to see if the ISP modem can be bridged. To tell if the modem is bridged or not, look at the routers web page, Status/Device Info/Wan Section, if there is a 192.168.0.# address in the WAN IP address field, then the modem is not bridged. If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ. Also check the routers DHCP IP address maybe conflicting with the ISP modems IP address of 192.168.0.1. Check to see if this is the same on the ISP modem, and if modem can't be bridged, change the DIR router to 192.168.1.1 or .0.254.
    Example of a D-Link router configured for PPPoE with ISP Modem bridged: PPPoE Configuration on a Router
UNQUOTE -

I could change the router and this time buy one from the ISP as they might have something more compatible with their modems, no?
Not always, no. Sometimes their modems are worse than what you can find in the store. Comtrend modems aren't my favorite, but they aren't the worst either, I suppose.

Like I said, I live in a big apartment building where I'm sure many are using routers. Probably I might need to bear with it until I buy a new laptop with a functioning lan system.
I think you're functioning just fine right now. Do you have this issue anywhere else or just at your apartment?

Btw, I also put the same question at D-Link forum. I quote their reply as below. Some of the points are a bit too technical for a dummy like me though.
Let's see if I can help out here.

By-pass the main host router and check internet connection by connecting a wired LAN PC directly to the ISP modem to verify connection access and ISP speeds.
Basically, connect directly to the modem to see if the problem goes away. If the problem still happens, it's not your router. If it doesn't happen anymore, it could be your router.

Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask.
This is unlikely the issue, although it never hurts to check. It's a setting in your router. MTU stands for Maximum Transmission Unit, which is basically how big of a chunk of information is allowed to pass through your router.

[*]For DSL/PPPoE connections on the router, ensure that "Always ON" option is enabled.
This isn't your issue. This would cause you to have no Internet when you first start using the computer for a couple of minutes, but not in the middle of use.

[*] If the ISP modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems: Link>Double NAT and How NAT Works. Call the ISP and ask to see if the ISP modem can be bridged. To tell if the modem is bridged or not, look at the routers web page, Status/Device Info/Wan Section, if there is a 192.168.0.# address in the WAN IP address field, then the modem is not bridged. If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ. Also check the routers DHCP IP address maybe conflicting with the ISP modems IP address of 192.168.0.1. Check to see if this is the same on the ISP modem, and if modem can't be bridged, change the DIR router to 192.168.1.1 or .0.254.
Example of a D-Link router configured for PPPoE with ISP Modem bridged: PPPoE Configuration on a Router

Yes, it should be bridged, but I don't think that is causing your issues, either. It's also quite possible that your modem, being a Comtrend, doesn't need to be bridged. Here's what all that means:

Your router is like a teacher. It gives assigned seats in the classroom (IP address). This prevents two devices from sitting in the same seat and having a conflict fight with each other.

Some modems are also able to give assigned seats. If that is the case, you do not want the modem AND the router giving assigned seats. It will cause confusion, especially if they are using the same addresses (seat names). In order to prevent this confusion, you tell the modem to NOT give out assigned seats (which is bridge mode).

I sincerely doubt this is your issue as well. Do this... try disconnecting the All-in-One printer from the phone line and see if the issue still exists. Get back to us. :)

Your router is like a teacher. It gives assigned seats in the classroom (IP address). This prevents two devices from sitting in the same seat and having a conflict fight with each other.

Some modems are also able to give assigned seats. If that is the case, you do not want the modem AND the router giving assigned seats. It will cause confusion, especially if they are using the same addresses (seat names). In order to prevent this confusion, you tell the modem to NOT give out assigned seats (which is bridge mode).

I sincerely doubt this is your issue as well. Do this... try disconnecting the All-in-One printer from the phone line and see if the issue still exists. Get back to us.

Thanks for the articulate clarification. What precisely is the all-in-one printer? I don't have anything connected to my phone line that I know of.

Basically, connect directly to the modem to see if the problem goes away. If the problem still happens, it's not your router. If it doesn't happen anymore, it could be your router.

Router and modem are directly connected to each other. I got a cable when I purchased the router for this purpose and that goes from router to modem.

Do you have this issue anywhere else or just at your apartment?

I haven't used my laptop outside my apartment. Actually the system I'm using isn't wireless as for few years after purchasing this laptop I had been using lan line. I began using a router only when lanline developed technical issues and stopped working. I was told by the other technician who set up the router (not ISP technician) that I can use it as wireless only within my apartment suite.

Back
Top Bottom