Internet connected, browsers fail look up, only on XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajacx

Beta member
I have this really weird problem on an assembled machine here at home. I've got both XP and Ubuntu installed, and the problems only exist on XP. The problem occurs on and off and seems to always happen at the worst times. I have a wired dsl connection, and the modem seems to have an inbuilt router (we only have one machine) which we got from our providers but I can't seem to find the brand name and its default drivers come with windows apparently. All the network settings were done by our providers when they brought the first modem over. We then had a storm when this modem was shorted and so they replaced it, and ever since then we've had these issues. I've got Kaspersky installed on XP.

The problem is that we seem to be able to connect to the internet, but then we can't load any webpages, the webpage says it is "looking up (hostname)" and gives up after sometime and says that page is offline. I've gotten these results with IE, Firefox and Chrome. Sometimes another program like MSN messenger or Skype will work but I'll still have this problem on my browsers and other times those other programs won't be able to connect either.

Its maddening because we called our providers to come take a look at it, and most times when they came everything seemed to be working fine. The one time they came and did find we really do have a problem, they thought the modem was bust and said they would replace it, but then when the guy came back he saw it working again so he didn't want to change it. One major thing is they could not connect to router via a browser, if they typed 192.168.1.1 the page would not load. This always worked in the past with our first modem. He tried this with a bunch of different modems and it wouldn't work. He didn't seem to motivated to try and solve that and he said "well your internet connections working and thats all that matters." and he left.

While he was there we briefly got the "looking up" problem on a browser and when I showed it to him he went to cmd and typed nslookup and was able to look up website ip addresses. So he said the internet connection is fine, but he did not know why he couldn't bring up the router settings or why we have these intermittent problems. Switching off the modem and restarting works sometimes, but mostly does not have any effect.

And this never happens on Ubuntu. If I have this problem, the minute I reboot into Ubuntu firefox works fine, when I go back to windows the same issue might be there. This has led me to suspect that either there are driver issues or the router-***-modem settings are all messed up/not installed properly. I don't have a networking background so I don't know how to do this on windows.

I would be really grateful if you could help me out here.

Thanks

Try to go into the Command Prompt and do a ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew commands.

That might help. Also check your XP to make sure that it has the network drivers still isntalled.

Thanks for your reply :).

I tried this before but I did it again to print the exact error message:

Windows IP Configuration

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for
this operation.

And I do have the proper drivers installed for my network adapters.

When I type ipconfig /all, I get the following:(The only changes I've made is putting x for some instances)

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : THISCOMPUTER
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethe
rnet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-4D-08-9E-84
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : xxx.xx.xx.x
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

PPP adapter VSNL:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : xx.xx.xxx.xx
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : xx.xx.xxx.xx
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : xxx.xxx.xxx.x
xxx.xxx.xx.xx
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Does it look like it hasn't been configured properly?

Thanks again.

It looks alright. I would suggest a reset of both the modem and router. Just to double check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom