Internet Bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

helg-dja

Beta member
I currently have a dedicated T1 but I need to increase my bandwidth. Does anyone know if it is possible to "bridge" or combine a dedicated T1 with a less expensive alternative such as wireless or DSL to increase overall bandwidth? If it is possible, is there special equipment that would need to be purchased? Thanks

I believe the pfSense [pfsense.com] firewall/router suite has the ability to load balance across two WAN connections.

You'll need to have a PC with enough NICs to set this up though.

There is a way to bring lines together; it is complicated and must be supported by your ISP on their end. You might want to check into fiber internet. You can do a google search for fiber internet in your area.

You'd need to check, with cable or DSL, what they will provide (up/down). With cable, you are sharing with everyone in your area (like in the old days how whole houses were on the water in such a way that flushing the toilet would lower water pressure in the shower)...when everyone is home during holidays, the cable will be quite slow and clogged.

DSL is more direct. Fiber IS direct.

Bellsouth, Verizon and others have decent DSL if you decide to go that route, and sometimes it's faster both up and down than they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom