Internet Access with Multiple Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louis12

Baseband Member
I have 3 computers in my house and one of them has the internet with 512kbps. Basically, I would like the internet in my room on my computer. Its a pain in the backside using two computers and using a Removable Storage Device to transfer data.

Anyways, what are the possible ways of having the internet in my room. Bearing in mind I'm a 14 year old, and I am quite tight on money and my dad doesn't want to drill tonnes of holes through the ceiling and walls.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. Regards, Louis.

Wireless router, and 2 wireless cards. about $100 to $150 total.
pretty easy to setup. if you stick with one vendor, you can follow their instuctions and all is pretty simple.

good luck

Try to go for Linksys or Netgear, don't use cheapo wireless networking stuff because it's unreliable and frustrating.

I dunno a lot about ad hoc networks, so someone correct me if I'm wrong...

but, from my understanding, if you are only wanting the network on 2 of the 3 computers, you could always stop by a place like overstock.com and get two wireless cards... you can usually get a decent brand for like $30... so a $60 investment, then you could set up an "ad hoc" network.

Yeah that's right, Ad Hoc is where you connect without a router, just between the network cards, rather like using a crossover cable. However, it can be more difficult to set up than using a router. I tried it once, and it didn't work.

Ok, I'll give a wireless network a shot. I already have a Wireless Access Point on my computer in my room so all I need is a router which will be connected to my pc with the internet and the phone line.

I'm off to look at some products. Can anyone recommend me with any fairly cheap ones?

Are you looking for wireless PCI cards? Go for Linksys or Netgear. I have a Netgear WG311 I think, and it's pretty good. I'd go for 802.11g as it offers 54Mb/sec, as opposed to the cheaper 802.11b which only offers 11Mb/sec.

I think all I need is a Wireless Router. I have my computer here with the internet, and my computer upstaires with a Wireless Access Point. So would I just need to get a wireless router?

Usually a computer connects to an access point using a wireless PCI card. The computers have the PCI cards, and the router is like a base station that they connect to. An access point serves the same purpose as the wireless part of a wireless router. You could get a normal router and plug the wireless access point into it, or you could get a wireless router, for which you won't need an access point. Either way the computers will use wireless cards of some sort, maybe PCI, to connect.

What is the access point being used for at the moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom