The internal network works, but I can not get onto the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
My Computer WAKE UP NEO... was a victim for a power out age.

Even though my computers are coved by a UPS, my sister "Mistress Of The Router and Lord Of The Internet Connection" has the her switch connected unprotected. (Even though I gave her both UPS and a cable to connect her switch directly into the UP earlier this year)

Anyways, since I was Bit Torrenting the night before, it turns out that some thing have screw up my internet connection via a power outage.

So far, I have
* Changed my IP Address.
* Turns off Switches at my end.
* Activated a system restore.
* Re-installed Windows Xp Pro SP2

In the end, I can still can not get onto the internet.
The strange thing is, all my over computer still can.

Currently it's a fresh install of Windows Xp Pro SP2.
I can not get onto the internet with the computer in question.

Apart from installing another network card, and other suggestions?

SHAWN said:
Install a NIC card. Possibly a bad port. Try a different CAT5e cable.
The internet network still works with i force IP Address and Gateway?

I will give it a shot tomorrow. I am going to take the computer into work as my sister is one of those people that refuse's to bend to juist about ANY network requests I have.

Just changed the cable. No change.
I know it's not the switch at my end as it work. And I have changed the other nodes

I am going to take the computer into work with me and have a look there

Did you try a network card? Did you check to see if your tcp/ip is set to obtain an ip automatically? Any conflicts in device manager? Does the NIC show up in device manager and say its operating normally? Do you have a link light? Check to see if its enabled in the bios.

Post results

I took the computer into work today.

I first installed a new Netgear FA311 PCI Nic in there. And appart from telling me that i now have network connection number 4 (don't ask were 2 and 3 went), it was still giving me no joy.
It would detect the work's network, but did not want to do any thing involving the internet.
This is post with IE and FireFox.

Reboot PC and turned off the one board network. Again, same result.

So once again a full format and reinstall again. :rolleyes:
I am still using the new netgear FA311 NIC.
I still have the old onboard realtek nic turned off.

At first the computer still did not want to detect the internet. So I downloaded the drivers from Netgear website on my other computer.
By the time I got back to the computer, I noticed that Windows was auto updating.
Once again I tested IE, and it seems to be working fine.

When I get home tonight, I am going to make sure that the swich in my sister's computer room is connected to the UPS!!!!! :mad:

Just to get an idea of the internet connection in my house, it like this.....

NORTEL NETWORK CABLE MODEM
|
V
D-LINK ROUTER (this is an old router. Not a router switch)
| \__________ Dad's Laptop
|
SISTER'S ST-LAB 8 PORT SWITCH
| | | \________ Sister's Computer
| | \___________ Sister's BF Computer
| \_____________ Harper's Media Center
|
HARPER'S ST-LAB 8 PORT SWITCH
| \_____________ PZYCHO B!TCH II
\________________ WAKE UP NEO....

The problem is that the SISTER'S ST-LAB 8 PORT SWITCH is about the only thing that my sister does not have protected from power failure. So if we have a power faulure, it means i got to wait until my sister is awake or gets home in order to reset the switch.
After getting Scape Goated by the rest of the family for ****ing up her computer gear a few year back, I refuse to touch any of her computer hardware unless she is in the same room.

As for the router. It's an old dedicated router. INTERNET SHARING ONLY! NO LAN! And It's dying a slow death at we only have 2 1/2 out of 4 nodes that actually work.
I did have a chance to replace it for free when I was ditching my last house mates. However my sister is still attached to the old one.

Currently I am just waiting for ADSL2+ roll out to happen in my area early JAN 06 so I can tell my sister and the rest of the family where they can shovel the network.

I get back home and I find myself having both of my computers not wanting to get back onto the network.

Turns out that only my sister and her BF can get onto the network. Meanwhile the what ever swith that I plug into at my sister's end seems to go all screwy. So it sounds like the cabling from my

So I have slapped on a switch at were my dad's laptop is located, and sent a cabling from HARPER'S ST-LAB 8 PORT SWITCH to SISTER'S ST-LAB 8 PORT SWITCH is screw.

And to add more to my frustrations, getting to my sister's SISTER'S ST-LAB 8 PORT SWITCH is a pain. There is not only the physical location that is an issue. There is also social issues of having to interupt my sister and her bf on their WOW-FIX.

If it turns out that I need to replace the cabling this week end, I am going to be putting a switch and my dad's laptop's end, and then run my cables to there.

Ding Dong The Router's Dead!

10:30 am this morning, I get this lovely abusive phone call from my sister. She's complaining about how she tripped over the network cable that has been left in the middle of the house

She then throwing the blame to my part of the network as her part of the newtwork perfectly.
Yeah, right! As along as she and her BF can get onto the internet, every thing is working fine.

I try explaining to here that my switch does not want to talk with her switch. And when my switch is piggy backing off her swith, I then run into problems. However it I put my switch onto my nod that my father is on, then there is not problems.
In the end, she did not want to listen. She throws the blame onto my network and then hangs up on me.

1:00 pm. I get a rather appollogetic phone call from my sister. And it looks like another port on the router has died.
So we are now down to 1 1/2 ports that work.
It turns out that she even took both of my switches (i have spare) and plugged them in, and she was getting mixed results.

And at this stage, he is finally listening to reason that the router is dead.
So we are finally getting in a proper ROUTER / SWITCH as appose to the dedicated router that we had before.

<SING> Ding! Dong! The Routers Dead! :D
This time I am going to assist on getting this network back up. And I am going to make **** will sure that my network is not piggy backing off of her network.

My plans for the network is

NORTEL NETWORK CABLE MODEM
|
V
NEW NETGEAR DG614
| | |
| | SISTER'S ST-LAB 8 PORT SWITCH
| | \ \______ Sister's Computer
| | \ ________ Sister's BF Computer
| |
| |
| HARPER'S ST-LAB 8 PORT SWITCH
| \ \ \______ PZYCHO B!TCH II
| \ \___________ WAKE UP NEO....
| \_______________ Harper's Media Center
|
\____________ Dad's Laptop

Good luck with that, and hope your sister just steps back and let you do whats necessary.

I've been having the same problem with my network at home, it seems like when ever we have a problem, it's my fault and i have to fix it everytime and if i cant fix it, both of my brother get so f'ing pissed at me because i cant fix, so i say to them "you know what my computer works just fine with out the router attached, so if you want internet stop yelling at me"

I pay for internet so when I say that they just shut up and wait till i get it back up.

Friday Afternoon : 4:55 pm.
My sister calls up telling me that she has the Router.
She's also telling me that NetGear has issued a DOA number along with it as the internal Firmware is all in Chinese.

At least I got a WG614 Wireless Router here at work that might get use by for the week end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom