Intermittent Problems on a Wireless Conntection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raynor

Beta member
Intermittent Problems on a Wireless Conection

Alright... I'll be checking this actively, since my two main computers are down (connected wirelessly) and the only one that can use the internet is the 300mhz Dell (Yes, you should shudder).

Here's the summary:

This network has been working fine for months, if not a year or two, occasionally (once every 2 or 3 weeks) you'd have to reset the base station using the power cord, but nothing worse than that).

Starting about 3 weeks ago, our wireless network started 'hiccuping' for lack of a better word. It would completely lose signal of the base station, then after a basestation reset (power cable replug) it would reconnect and work fine. This would occur about once every 3 hours, seemingly at random.

That wasn't a huge deal, so I just left it (school was in, no time for a small bug like that). A Week later, it got worse, disconnecting ATLEAST once an hour, and just kept getting worse, until at this point, I get maybe 2 minutes of connection every 30 minutes (Power replug resets no longer help one bit).

When I open Broadband Network Utility, whenever it does see the basestation, it is almost ALWAYS "Excellent" (with occasional laspes into "Very Good"). I have NEVER seen it fall below Very Good. Other times it sees absolutely nothing. There is no grey area, it either sees it or it doesn't.

This happens on BOTH of my other computers, which are quite differently configured, however they both use the same adapter, and they both run XP home.

Specs:
Basestation: MS Broadband Networking Wireless Basestation
Basestation Model: MN-500
Wireless adaptors: MS Broadband Networking Wireless Adapter
Adapter Model: MN-510
(if relevent)
ADSL Modem: SpeedStream 5360

Wireless Network: 128-bit WEP, MAC Filtering.

Now nothing physical has happened that I can see would warrant this. The network was running fine for months, and then this occurred. This is why I don't think the WEP or MAC Filtering has anything to do with it, and since it happens to both Adapters at the same time, I expect the problem to lie in the basestation.

I'll be checking back frequently over the next few hours (and days) however I leave Thursday morning to goto California, so i'm hoping to have it fixed by then.

Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: Yikes, just noticed the massive typo in the topic... anyone wanna fix that for me? thanks :p Conection, not Conntection :p

No to 2.4Ghz cordless (we got 5.8 GHz so as to not interfere).

The building is just a normal house I guess. As stated before, the network has been working fine for many months, and no physical changes have come into the enviroment (that I can think of, that is).

Honestly, get a new base station. They're cheap enough, and I've seen them go out many times like you are describing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom