Interesting Idea, Will it Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belmont52

Solid State Member
Hello TF!
I was thinking for awhile if using a pfsence server to replace my router and a cisco switch that i have laying around i could use it to run multiple routers from the switch on there own seperate vlans. I am relatively new to networking so please go easy on me :thumbsup:

pfsence would be okay to use, and I don't see any problem setting up multiple routers. Assuming you'll go pfSence --> Cisco S/W --> Router/Router/Router.

I wouldn't call those VLAN's either. More so a Network Segment. VLAN's are computer that are technically on the same network but on different segments.

Thanks for replying. I want the routers completly isolated from each other though, I thought that's what vlans are. Pretty much, I don't want the routers knowing of each other or communicating with each other. Again that's where I thought vlans come in. Do you have any suggestions on how to do that?

Well, VLAN's are really used to create a virtual network between computers that are not on the same network/subnet/etc. Think of it like a VPN (Virtual Private Network).

Network Segment 1 has Computer 1/2/3/4
Network Segment 2 has Computer 5/6/7/8

Each network segment is isolated by a router/private WAN, etc. These networks cannot talk to each other because they are protected by the WAN firewall (unless other wise specified like port forwarding)

Say Computer 1 and Computer 5 are both Corporate Accounting and need to access the Accounting server on Segment 2. A Virtual LAN will then be created between them by designating certain ports on the Switch/Router denoting them VLAN1 instead of the default VLAN0 (or however your network devices specify the VLANS). This then isolates their communication and will pass information back and forth. Even though they are on different physical networks, they are on the same logical network.

Since you're setting up 3 routers, you'll be creating 3 network segments. This is done in larger corps to stop collisions and broadcasts as well cut down on the amount of traffic through the backbone.
Of course security comes into play too because if Network 1 is compromised, then Network 2/3 are still okay because they are segmented off.

Your routers SHOULD stop all attempts to access computers from other networks by default, just like it does right now from the Internet (This wasn't a request sent out, I have no ports to forward to for incoming therefore no soup for you). You can always set up specific ACL's (Access Control Lists) to explicitly deny access from those routers too.

So let me get this straight. Router(pfsence) --> switch --> router
router
router
Will automatically make individual segments on each of these ^^ routers so they can't talk to each other but go directly to the Internet and the devices on their respective routers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom