InterDomain/IntraDomain Routing Protocol...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hipt0px14

Beta member
Hey guys, can you explain me what's differences between InterDomain Routing Protocol and IntraDomain Routing Protocol. And here's couple of questions i would like to ask..

1. Why we have both types of protocols?

2. Why we use each?

3. What is the path selection and the representation of distance with metrics?

4. Explain the process of static routing when Host A wants to send data to Host B in another network.

5. Explain the process of Dynamic routing when Host A wants to send data to Host B in another network.

I know that is alot of questions but if you guys help me, i would appreciate it alot. Thanks!

Bryan

Here is a quick copy/paste for your convenience.

According to linktionary.com, there is a slight :) difference between the two.

IDRP (Interdomain Routing Protocol) is an OSI exterior (interdomain) routing protocol that is used to exchange routing information between autonomous systems (ASs) of routers. The corresponding OSI interior (intradomain) routing protocol is IS-IS, which is designed to work within an autonomous system. IDRP was considered as a routing protocol for the Internet in the early 1990s when it was thought that OSI protocols would be used on the Internet. It has since fallen out of favor.

http://www.linktionary.com/i/idpr.html

The difference between inter- and intra-domain routing are in the types of protocols you use. Inter-domain routing protocol examples would include BGP, OSPF, and EIGRP. These are meant for slower WAN connections and are less likely to saturate the link. Intra-domain routing protocols would be more like IGRP and RIP. They are much more chatty and it is better to use these protocols on a limited basis across much faster connections (LAN).

We use the inter-domain routing protocols because they effectively replicate the routing tables on preset schedules or when certain conditions are met. IE, OSPF updates it's neighbors anytime it detects a link state change anywhere on the network. BGP lets its neighbors know anytime the LOCAL router has a link state change. They each have their appropriate implementations.

Intra-site routing protocols however are constantly sending "hello packets" back and forth to assess the link state and establish their routing tables. For most intra-site routing protocols you want to try to keep the number of routers involved to under ten.

As for the rest of (what sounds like) your class assignment, the info is pretty easily found on the web.

:(
I'm never around when the really exciting questions come around...not that the others aren't exciting...... ;)

That was an excellent explanation.....

For your third question
3. What is the path selection and the representation of distance with metrics?

I guess I'm not really understanding the question. Do you have the associated problem that you are working on a solution for? Are you inquiring about a certain route? Do you have a logical schematic in particular that you are referring to?

Thanks!

-Mike

I think what he meant to be asking for was the difference between distance-vector and link state protocols.

OSPF=link state determinent protocol
RIP=distance vector determinent protocol

Link state (OSPF in particular) generally attempts to maintain a total picture of all routers associated to a particular grouping (in eigrp it is areas, I think it is the same in OSPF). The protocol publicizes how "good" a particular path is to the other routers in the area. The problem with this is that if your network is REALLY big (internet type of thing) when a link state changes in say CA, that change will be (essentially) broadcast until every router knows about the change. For one, this is a HUGE amount of traffic for not that big of a deal. For two, by the time that link state change reaches the other end of the area (NY) the link may be back up and the information is no good, but the router in NY doesn't know that until the next update gets there. This is one of the main reasons I despise OSPF unless you're using it in a smaller environment (less than 100 routers).

Distance vectoring on the other hand can put you at the other extreme. With distance vectoring protocols like RIP, your traffic may wind up going all over the internet instead of taking exactly the fastest path. There are lots of distance vectoring protocols that monitor link states in a more limited fashion than OSPF and assign "weights" to a certain link depending on speed of the link and how clean the transmission is from one end to the other.

But anyways. That's pretty much the long and the short of it.

Ah, I see, as it pertained to each protocol......gotcha.....thanks.
Thanks for the defs once again....I'm sure these will help Bryan out.

-M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom