Intel ProSet/Wireles 2200BG. Not registering with router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgray152

Baseband Member
I recently had the joy of manual removing a fierce little virus from a desktop computer, while I was at their house, they wan't me to get their laptop which has a built in wireless adaptor, to connect to their wireless router that I set up long ago

The card is a Intel ProSet/Wireless 2200BG.

The issue is that I can get the wireless card to gain access to the wireless after inputing the WEP and SSID, but the card will not get the DHCP, Gateway, DNS, provider information from the router. It will get a IP but won't get the rest so I have no access to the internet or the network.

When I look on the router and look at the connected devices, I can see the desktop's nic MAC address and their macintosh nic MAC address but that it. It doesn't show the Windows XP based nic MAC addess or even show that the Winxp laptop is even connected.

Here is the weird thing, I had a USB netgear MA101 wireless card which I installed to see if that would work. It did! Once I enabled the USD NIC I was able to gain access to the entire network but if I use only the Intel card I can't. Both are configured the same.

I am using Windows to configure the wireless network. I got rid of the 3rd party Intel wireless config program that came with the Intel card.

Any idea?

What IP is the router assigning you. if you are getting a 169.x.x.x address then you are not getting one from the router. Using the same level of wep encryption? Uninstall and reinstall the wifi drivers.

Hi, thanks for the responce.

I foget the exact IP address but its 192.168.#.#. I think the rest is 192.168.0.1 where the IP it should be is 192.168.1.49 (the next IP in the range). It may not be ".0" though. I am 1.5 hours away from the computer. I can give them a call if you need those IP addys.

Same level WEP being used. Network key is set to OPEN. I usually used shared but I can't change the Key type (Open/Shared) on the router. No option for it.

I havn't tried reloading the Intel wireless drivers yet. Looking for multiple suggestions before I go back over there when im in the area.

Any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom