Installing a router

Status
Not open for further replies.

regiemon

In Runtime
If I install a router to share internet connection, do i need to install antivirus, firewall, etc. to every computer?

Most routers have a built-in firewall, but yes, you will want AV on every computer at least. Both Avast! and AVG offer free AV solutions that are highly regarded. I use Avast! myself.

It doesn't hurt to have a personal firewall on each computer as well. ZoneAlarm and Sygate are the top two software firewalls.

Don't forget to change the password on the router away from default...

But if I will install on every computer, It means that I need to check on every computer oftenly to update the av and other protection software.

Is there some kind of setup I could use on the router to tighten the security or if I could install a av in the router? so I don't need to install av on every pc.

because my concern is that if I install AV or any protection software, it will slow down my old computers.

You cant install AV software onto the router itself. You can do things on the router to tighten securty. Enable NAT, mac address filtering etc etc.

Just use MAC address filtering on your router and, have a security enabled password.

I use NIS but you need to disable windows firewall on each pc, and then configure your personal firewall security package to all ow a trusted network range eg 192.168.1.1 - 192.165.1.10. If you install internet security or av on each you shoild be able to configure them to automatically update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom