Installing Netware 5 client on Windows XP Pro workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBaker2396

Beta member
Hi,
We have a small Novell 5 network which has been running Windows 98Se workstations. We now need to replace one workstation with a Windows XP Pro workstation. I have Novell client 4.90 SP1a to install. However, our DSL internet connection is provided by a router connected to the Novell server. The computer instructions say to install the internet connection first. However, that was not a success. So, I'm guessing and it makes sense to me to install the netware client and then the internet connection. I'm no genius and don't have to attempt this sort of thing very often, so I was wondering if anyone is willing to provide the necessary steps to install the Novell client on the XP workstation. I have looked on Novell.com and can find nothing specific. I really need to get this up and running. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Ok, lets get a few things cleared up.

You have a WinXP machine that you want to add to your Netware network.

Obviously, you have to install the client onto XP so it can communicate and authenticate with the server.

Simply put the CD in the WinXP PC and run the setup, you will need to know the Netware server and the admin password. Give it a shot and let us know.

OK. I've installed the client and rebooted. On the reboot, the Novell login script came up and I tried to login as "Admin" with the appropriate password. I get the message "Could not find server or tree". There must be something set incorrectly somewhere. Any ideas what I should check?

Double check the IPX/SPX and TCP/IP Protocols are setup correctly, even if the client is installed, if the protocols aren't setup you won't connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom