Installing my HP LaserJet 4V Printer onto my Network Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghowthoo

Solid State Member
Hey guys!

I was wondering if you guys could help me or direct me to where I could learn how to network my printer HP LaserJet 4V to my home network. I have a fairly simple network. It consists of:

Cable Modem -> Router (with 4-port switch) -> 4-port Switch -> Wireless Access Point.

and everything in between is connected to a few computers.

I was wondering how would I go about installing my printer which has a Hewlett Packard JetDirect (J2550B) Print Server interface on the back of it to plug into my network into one of my available ports on my switches.

I was able to print out the Printers "info" and get the mac address/ip of the interface on the printer. Now what do I do with it? =) I also downloaded a software from the HP website that detects and configures printers for me but unforauntelly it says it cant find any printer hooked up to my network.

Is there something I am doing wrong? When I plug the printer into my network, the lights on my switches turns on as the printer is on... I go into my router and scan for attached devices but it isnt reading the printer... any help would be apprecitated!

thank you!

The printer should be set to DHCP which it should get an IP address from the router's DHCP server, look at your DHCP log on your router to verify that. You should also see the MAC address logged to the database also.

Network printers require you to configure each host and install drivers on each computer in order to print. You can follow the instructions on this link below or the manual that came with your printer.
http://uis.georgetown.edu/software/documentation/winxp/winxp.network.printer.html

hey! thanks for the reply.

I am looking all over the configuration test sheet that the printer printed out and do not see any DHCP within it. However I do see it has its own IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, mac address and such things.

However, the printer doesnt seem to be showing up on my network when I scan for attached devices within my router... am I suppose to have the router assign my printer its own IP or can my small network use the printers ip settings?

also when following those steps you wrote, I came to the point where it said it was unable to find such printer... which brings me to the above... :confused:

Doesn't HP come with an installed software to connect to the printer's network interface and configure it a static IP address? It should have that or a way to connect and find the MAC address of the printer's NIC interface. You might want to see if you can actually ping the IP address of the printer just to test the connection from the printer to the computer.

Unplug the power from the printer. Hold in the reset button near the network adapter while reconnecting the power. This should completely reset the network adapter. After a couple minutes, print a configuration page. This will have the IP address that YOUR network just gave it. It currently probably still has some old settings on it. Unless you bought it new and this is the first time it has connected to a network. Then telnet to that IP and change it to a static address. You can then add a printer via the wizard or use the CD that came with the printer on each PC.

OMG I LOVE YOU GUYS!

Yeah I didnt have any manuals, just the hardware itself, a friend didnt want it anymore and gave it to me.

I just basically had to reset the network interface to factory defaults because it was using settings from previous users and my router couldnt assign it its own IP within my network! hazaah!!

thanks again! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom