Installing Managed Switch and Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecsancho

Beta member
Are you planning on all the computers being able to get on the internet? If so, you're going to need a router before the switch. Unless you are going to use internet sharing, which would be interesting with that many computers.

Edit: Did you read the last review on the page for the firewall?

Excellent equipment
Reviewed By: Farslayer on 11/2/2006 Tech Level: high - Ownership: more than 1 year

Pros: Despite other reviews, this device is a firewall with routing capabilities; it is not a router. Do not buy this product if you are not a network technician as, yes, it requires you to know what you are doing before you can use it. Configuration is easy through a web interface. Supports WAN, VPN, Gateway Intrusion Prevention and AV, network AV (with upgrade), DMZ, customizable rules, content filtering, etc.

Cons: This device can be deceptively pricey if you are not familiar with them. The basic device works great, but you may need to invest in upgrades which have recurring fees such as IDS. I recommend upgrading to the latest OS via their site. THIS DEVICE IS NOT FOR NEWBIES!

There all going to have access to the internet.

I know its very difficult to setup firewall I don't expect it to be plug and play, I bought a book on it, but thats the fun, i like learning new things like this and I except the challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom