Installing DDWRT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

john.roswen

Solid State Member
I picked up a free netgear access point, (WG602 v4) from a friend. I'd really really like to turn this into a wireless bridge to provide internet to my desktop PC.

I cannot seem to get DDWRT to this thing by any means. I've tried the upgrade through the access point's GUI, but it tells me that "the device does not support so old firmware", and that the upgrade has failed. From what I understand I need to use TFTP to flash the DDWRT, but the GUI version fails after many attempts. I'm sure I've got the IP right, the password is left blank as instructed, and have a compatible .bin for the firmware.

What am I doing wrong? Running windows vista 64 bit, but I have access to other machines if there is an issue with the operating system.

The regular fails because its too big.. try the mini first... It should go on with no problems.

The ttftp is used because, i believe, the firmware doesn't see the full ram.

Thats my full extent of my ddwrt knowledge, so.......

I still have the issue. The router has 2MB flash and the firmware is 1.6mb, so I don't think size is an issue. I can ping the router but the TFTP client still says that it is unable to get responses from the server.

I am using the micro version, and the size listed should fit on it. The DDWRT page for the specific netgear model says "initial flash by TFTP", so I would assume that's the only way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom