Installing 2 NIC's on 1 comp...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CntdwnToExtn

Fully Optimized
i havn't done this yet, but my buddy often brings his computer over so we can game and so he can download some stuff (he lives int he country and satellite hasn't quite got to their area yet).

anyway,
is it hard? or easy? cause i've heard both.......

I'll assume you mean you want to install a second NIC with the goal of using it to share your Internet connection through your computer with your friend (who presumably already has a NIC in his computer). That can be done, but most people would instead get a cable or DSL router with a built-in switch to share the Internet connection. Since I've seen those as low as $30, it's really probably the easiest way for the money, too . At least I would find that easier than setting up a two NIC machine under Windows.

Capricorn said:
I'll assume you mean you want to install a second NIC with the goal of using it to share your Internet connection through your computer with your friend (who presumably already has a NIC in his computer). That can be done, but most people would instead get a cable or DSL router with a built-in switch to share the Internet connection. Since I've seen those as low as $30, it's really probably the easiest way for the money, too . At least I would find that easier than setting up a two NIC machine under Windows.

yes, that is what i want to do.
i have a router, but it's a pain because i have to take it from upstairs (which has my dad's computer hooked up to it also) i have no problem with doing that, cept he demands it be hooked up back before the morning because he uses his computer to do all his stuff...and it's usualy late and night and i don't want to hook it back up hahaha.

so i take it, it's a bit complicated for the 2 nic card thing....oh well....i'll survive with the router thing hahaha.
thanks.

If you have a router, does it have any empty ports that you could plug another Ethernet cable into. If it does and it's not too hard to do, you could just buy and run a second cable to your room to use with your friend's computer.

If that's too hard to do because of the distance or what the cable would have to pass through, why not consider buying a small switch for your room? You'd also need two more (CAT-5e) Ethernet cables, but they could be fairly short (like this 7 ft one for example). This Netgear 5 port router from Best Buy is only $29 with a $10 rebate ($19 after the rebate). Then you'd take the cable from the router that goes to your computer, disconnect it from your computer and plug it into one of the ports on the new switch. Then take the new Ethernet cables and run one of them from a port on the switch to your computers.

A picture is worth 1,000 words, so ....

damn, tha's a nice drawing

ya, i have thought about the first alternative that you drew, cause it's just another 50 foot cable i'd have to run in order to get from the router to "here".

the second alt. really wouldn't be worth it i don't think for the amount of times that we do hook up here. usualy he brings it over here and next time i'll bring it over there..even though there currently isn't interent, and even then, his computer has the main connection so no long cabling would be needed.

i was just hopin' it was easier than i thought/heard caue i've got the other nic and the crossover cable already and wasn't hopin' to spend any money cause i am a college student, which means only weekend job and hardly anything during the week...so money's kinda tight.
but, the 50ft cable i don't believe is that much money anymore, so i'll probably look into that....thanks!

edit: though ive read your post again...and the switch is a little cooler now....then i woudln't have to go though the ceiling and cold air duct again.....ugh, decisions desisions hahaha.

CntdwnToExtn said:
damn, tha's a nice drawing
Thanks. Visio is a nice drawing tool. All those little boxes and computers come with it (along with a few thousand others).

ya, i have thought about the first alternative that you drew, cause it's just another 50 foot cable i'd have to run in order to get from the router to "here".
If you've got a few days, that 50 foot cable will cost about $10.50 shipped from Newegg.

the second alt. really wouldn't be worth it i don't think for the amount of times that we do hook up here. usualy he brings it over here and next time i'll bring it over there..even though there currently isn't interent, and even then, his computer has the main connection so no long cabling would be needed.
If you go with the cheapest 5-port router Newegg has (which sounds okay from the reviews) for $11.50 and two 7-ft cables for about $2 each, that's about $26 with shipping (to the east coast).

edit: though ive read your post again...and the switch is a little cooler now....then i woudln't have to go though the ceiling and cold air duct again.....ugh, decisions desisions hahaha.
Having a switch and a couple cables is also just darn handy to have around. If you like to play LAN games on the PC with four or five of your friends or want to hook up 3 or 4 Xboxes (Playstation2's I as well, I think), they're nice to have. A little more flexible than a crossover cable.

wow, i've never heard of this newegg until i came onto this forum and man, everytime someone posts a link to them, they have awesome prices.
thanks for the help man, your makin' this easier on me *thumbs up*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom