increasing the coverage of a wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpneeded

Beta member
Hello,

I am in a city in Afghanistan that is located at high altitudes and where internet is accessed via sattelite(which is quite expensive). I would like to share the internet connection with another NGO whose office is between 500 and 1000 feet away. From the top of our building I can see the top of their building. Is there a way to share these connections? Either through signal boosting or line of sight hardware? Thank you so much for your time.

Mike

There is line of sight hardware avaiable, such as radio, microwave, or laser, but each it pretty costly. I have seen some webpages that show how to take an old Satelite dish no longer in use and convert it for use as an 'antenna' for a wireless connection (directional obviously), and if you can build 2, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to connect them to eachother that distance away, and use ICS to share internet.

I THINK there was a thread here about 8 or 9 months ago about it, but the search function doesn't seem to be playing nice with posts older than the recent upgrade we did, so you would have to look through the threads one at a time... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom