Increasing connection speed on a router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunslinger19

Solid State Member
Hi,

I run XP SP2 and just put my 10 megabit connection onto a Linksys WRT54GS router so my girlfriend can connect her laptop via wireless. I am hard wired into the router, and I have seen on speakeasy that my speed has dropped to around 5 megabits (this is when there is no activity from my gfs side) when I had seen it much higher before the router became involved.

Is there a way to boost the speed coming through to me, or is this router limited at that speed?

Thanks so much

I had a latency error going for the very closest one, but I did one that was just about the same distance (Atlanta) and I still have 5 megabits.

I had tested at well over 8 megabits just a few days ago, so I'm thinking it has to be the router that is causing the limitation

Well, the only way to be sure is plugging directly into the modem and testing. My bet is your ISP could be running slow. It happens sometimes, I have issues with comcast often.

I found that not all speedtest servers are created equal. One in NY is closer yea, but I test at the one in DC because I get far lower latency and up/downs of twice what the others report :p

^^ Found that out myself too. My local one from WVU is crap, says I have a huge upload but a low download...the server near where I used to live (which is 150 extra miles away now that I have moved) shows a more accurate reading on my speed, higher download and lower upload.

Turns out WVU can't run a server right, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom